Access 2003 crash

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Access 2003 crash

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Access 2003 sometimes crashes on exit. I can click an option to check online for a solution but this does nothing.
Has anyone come across this? I suspect it is related to Windows Update. When I update office/windows it always to seems to create problems
that I didn't have before. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Access 2003 crash

Post by HansV »

I haven't noticed any correspondence between updates and crashes.
- Does this happen in any database, or in a specific database (or some specific databases) only?
- Have you specified "Compact on Close" for the database(s)?
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

This appears to be random. Sometimes a database closes normally but other times it crashes.
I don't have Compact on Close. I did try Compact and Repair on an occasion but this also caused a crash the first time.
Ta, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the problem persists, you could try to repair MS Office - either select Help | Detect and Repair from within Access, or open Microsoft Office in the Add/Remove Programs control panel and select the Repair option. You'll need to have the Office CD available.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I used Detect and Repair from within Access, to no avail; I'll try the Office setup version.
If this fails I might just put with it. I don't want to start un-installing update files as this is likely to cause more problems.
Thanks, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Repair option from the Add/Remove Programs control panel is the same as Help | Detect and Repair, so if the latter didn't help, there's not much point in trying the other.
Completely uninstalling Office 2003, then reinstalling it would be the next step, but of course it's up to you to decide if you want to go that far.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

I have seen what appear to be random crashes with Access 2003, but they occur infrequently for the most part. However I have seen a corrupt database cause crashes pretty consistently. In that case, the only solution was to create a copy of the database by importing objects, and then rebuild the offending object (a form if I recall correctly).
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!