Password to open setting

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Password to open setting

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. (Excel 2007)
In 2003 I was able to create or amend a password to open or modify a workbook, via Tools/ Options.
In 2007 it seems I can only do this using the Save As dialog. Does this mean that I can only change or remove a password by saving it to a different file?

I am aware that these passwords are not secure, and presume that the Office button, Prepare, Encrypt Document option is intended to replace the previous method?
(Although this doesn't allow me to set separate passwords to open or modify). Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Password to open setting

Post by HansV »

The password that you set in Office button > Save As > Tools > General Options... is the same as the one you set in Office button > Prepare > Encrypt Document. If you change it in one dialog, it'll be changed in the other dialog too. So you can set or change the password without saving the workbook.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You can use the Tools button on the Save As dialog to set a password and then save the document without changing the file name.
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you both. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.