Storing Passwords In Excel

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Storing Passwords In Excel

Post by hlewton »

I am storing passwords in Excel and if I use an @ sign at the beginning of the password, Excel stores it like this, '@ with an apostrophe before the @ sign. Is there a way for me to store passwords in Excel beginning with the @ sign and not having it store the apostrophe ahead of it? I want the cell the password is stored in to just display @23ghten.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Storing Passwords In Excel

Post by HansV »

I cannot reproduce it, but does it help if you format the cells as Text before entering the passwords?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

[Answering a question you didn't ask and making a suggestion you might not want]
I suggest you consider using Roboform or KeePass instead of Excel. The latter is free, the former moderately priced. Roboform stores your passwords relieving you of the responsibility of backups and protection. It also facilitates multi-platform password management and migration to new devices. KeePass stores your passwords locally requiring that you provide secure backup.

FYI
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 20:02
I cannot reproduce it, but does it help if you format the cells as Text before entering the passwords?
I can't reproduce it in an entirely new spreadsheet. I format that cell as text and it's fine now, thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 20:09
[Answering a question you didn't ask and making a suggestion you might not want]
I suggest you consider using Roboform or KeePass instead of Excel. The latter is free, the former moderately priced. Roboform stores your passwords relieving you of the responsibility of backups and protection. It also facilitates multi-platform password management and migration to new devices. KeePass stores your passwords locally requiring that you provide secure backup.

FYI
Thank you for the suggestion. I am not familiar with either suggestion. However, my Excel spreadsheet is 1500 rows long and up to the G column wide. I use the spreadsheet for much more information than just passwords. I will look at the programs you suggested and see what they are all about. Again thanks.
Regards,
hlewton