OneDrive Documentation

richlocus
2StarLounger

OneDrive Documentation

Post by richlocus »

Hello:
I'm reading a book on Microsoft One Drive, and it is misleading to some extent. From what I can tell, once I copy a file from my regular Documents folder (not linked to OneDrive) to one drive, it makes a local copy on this address:

C:\Users\MyUserName\OneDrive\

When I change the file on one drive, it has no effect on the original non-OneDrive Documents folders.

Is this your understanding? All changes are made to the OneDrive Microsoft remote server and copied to the C:\Users\MyUserName\OneDrive folder. It never touches the non-one drive original source of the file.

The book didn't emphasize that issue so I originally thought it would modify my original non-One Drive file in the local Documents directory.

Is this your understanding, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Rich Locus

HansV
Administrator

Re: OneDrive Documentation

Post by HansV »

If you copy a file from a non OneDrive folder A to a folder B in your local OneDrive folder, the two files are completely independent of each other: changes made to one won't affect the other.

In this respect, it works the same as on your hard disk: if you copy a file from local folder A to local folder B, changes made to the file in folder A won't affect the copy in folder B, and vice versa: changes to the file in folder B won't affect the file in folder A.

But a file in your local OneDrive folder (or one of its subfolders), it will be synchronized with its copy in the cloud. Changes to one will be reflected in the other.
Best wishes,
Hans

richlocus
2StarLounger

Re: OneDrive Documentation

Post by richlocus »

Hans:
Thanks! The book didn't make that clear.
Regards,
Rich Locus