(Excel2003) LINEST with null values

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

(Excel2003) LINEST with null values

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Linest.png
Excel2003.

The attached workbook uses the nifty LINEST function to assist me in predicting how many days ("duration") it might take to complete an audio book project.
I chose the factors/parameters (columns B:F) because the data were relatively easy to obtain, and I felt that each of them contributed to delays in a project.

I key in the LINEST function and do the Ctrl+Shift+Enter trick, and am rewarded with a slew of #VALUE errors.

If I fill in a value for the blank cells B4 and C6 (purple), then the LINEST function is happy.

Question: Is there a relatively simple way to cope with null data being fed into LINEST without having to guess at an unknown datum?

(1) I could delete those rows with vacant cells, even do that automatically if I had to
(2) I will delete the three over-budget rows (triple-asterisks) to run this; my idea is to predict those projects might go over-busget
(3) Down the road the table could be massive (a group collaboration, with other people submitting project data)

Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 05 Oct 2022, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: (Excel2003) Linest with null values

Post by HansV »

I'd go with (1)
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: (Excel2003) Linest with null values

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 15:38
I'd go with (1)
Thanks, Hans.
I did see in a web page that there was a bug in LINEST, fixed, the page said, in Excel 2003.
If a least-squares method is being used, perhaps there is a rogue division-by-zero in there somewhere.
Sigh!
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

SpeakEasy
4StarLounger

Re: (Excel2003) LINEST with null values

Post by SpeakEasy »

Try fiddling with this expression

=LINEST(G2:G14,IFERROR(B2:F14,0),TRUE,TRUE)

p45cal
2StarLounger

Re: (Excel2003) LINEST with null values

Post by p45cal »

LINEST does not want to work with anything but contiguous numeric values.
The danger of replacing errors/blanks/non-numeric values with 0 is that the zeroes are treated as zero values, not ignored, so will end up skewing the statistics.
Other functions such as FORECAST work OK with blank cells so you might be better off using those.