A UserForm resolution /size concern

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

A UserForm resolution /size concern

Post by ABabeNChrist »

A UserForm resolution /size concern. I designed a workbook that uses mutable UserForm from my desktop computer with a resolution of 1152 x 864 and the UserForm are almost full screen size. But when I open this same workbook on my notebook with a resolution of only 800 x 600 (that’s the highest it will go) the UserForm are now way to too large. Is there any type of setting or property setting I can do that will adjust the UserForm size in proportion to screen?

HansV
Administrator

Re: A UserForm resolution /size concern

Post by HansV »

Although that would be possible, you would also have to rearrange the controls on the userform, and that is much more difficult.

Instead of changing the size of the useform, I would recommend doing the following:
  1. Decide on the minimum screen resolution that you want to support. If you want to work on your notebook, it'd have to be 800 x 600; personally I would refuse to go lower than 1024 x 768 even if that excludes older machines and netbooks.
  2. Redesign the userform so that it works well at that resolution.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank You Hans
I was hoping there was some type of setting on the UserForm properties I was unaware of
I guess when using UserForms it is good practice to design them with the lowest perfered resolution as you described.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Hans I was wondering is there graphics cards that i could use on a notebook that will help with the resolution?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Although it may not be a really attractive option, you could change the Scrollbars property to provide a vertical and/or horizontal scroll bar on the userform. You'd also have to set the ScrollHeight and/or ScrollWidth property to specify the "range" over which the scroll bars work.

See the attached sample workbook. It contains a small userform with a vertical scrollbar.
Userform_scrollbar.xlsm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ABabeNChrist wrote:Hans I was wondering is there graphics cards that i could use on a notebook that will help with the resolution?
An LCD screen has a native resolution which you can't exceed. If the screen of your notebook has a native resolution of 800 x 600, you can't go higher than that even if you install a super-duper video card...
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

HansV wrote: An LCD screen has a native resolution which you can't exceed. If the screen of your notebook has a native resolution of 800 x 600, you can't go higher than that even if you install a super-duper video card...
Not even a SUPER-DUPER :sad:
I tried using the scrollbar approach and I set the height at 2000 just to see how it works, of course that way to much, I guess all in all it would solve the problem without having to redo all the UserForm and controls which of course would be a nightmare.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ABabeNChrist wrote:Not even a SUPER-DUPER :sad:
If the native resolution of an LCD screen is 800 x 600, it means that it consists of 800 x 600 pixels, so even if you put in a graphics card that can display 3000 x 2400 pixels or whatever, it still won't be able to fit more than 800 x 600 pixels on that LCD screen...
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank you Hans
As always most greatly appreciated for your very helpful assistance
:thankyou:

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Hi Hans
I first took a copy of workbook in question then I made the changes as you mentioned to add a scrollbar and of course adjust the scroll height and width, it worked great. Resolution problem solved….
Thank you again
No Super Duper needed here..... :bananas: