Can a PDA run a .xlsm

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Can a PDA run a .xlsm

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Are smart phones and PDAs capable of running a .xlsm workbook. I know they come with a Office Mobile, but is there a limit to their usage.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can a PDA run a .xlsm

Post by HansV »

See Unsupported features in Excel Mobile for the limitations of Excel Mobile.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

HansV wrote:See Unsupported features in Excel Mobile for the limitations of Excel Mobile.
Hi HansV
Thank you for that unsupported features in Excel Mobile list. I was thinking that it was going to be a little better than anticipated, It seems that it doesn’t support very much and if it does, it covert it to something else. It’s like why even bother.
Now let me ask you this, if I were to develop a workbook that is compatible with a PDA, what would be the best way to approach this, I know I can read all of the does and don’ts but it still would be easy to slip something through that could mess the whole workbook up.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have any experience with Excel on PDAs, but the principal rule appears to be "Keep It Simple".

- Keep in mind that a PDA has a VERY small screen.
- Use only a few rows and columns.
- Try to keep scrolling to a minimum
- Use only simple formulas.
- Don't use any VBA.

A worksheet with (not too complicated) calculations would be OK, but you won't be able to create a complete application since you can't use VBA.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank you HansV
I was having a couple requests about adding my inspection report workbook to their PDA, but I’ll put this idea on the back burner until PDA’s have the capability. I thought of developing a stripped down version but that would be pretty much worthless and as you mentioned the screens are way too small. As it is right now I have to use my reading glasses to use my PC at home.
Thank you again for your words of wisdom, most greatly appreciated