set language ID & detect language automatically

Robie
5StarLounger

set language ID & detect language automatically

Post by Robie »

I have a template which is used around the word and it needs to know the language ID in use. The language will always be English (of some sort). So, I set the language id to UK, US, Canadian, Singapore, Hong Kong & the rest defaults to UK depending on the value of System.Country. For example, if system.country is wdCanada then I set the languageid to wdEnglishCanadian, etc.

1stly: Is above a good practice?
2ndly: Should I allow Word to 'Detect language automatically' by setting the Tools|Language|Set Language|Detect language automatically option? Is this normal practice or do people always set the language ID specifically. Presumeably, if I allow word to detect language automatically then I don't need to worry about setting the languageid!

EDIT: Another thought, perhaps I should set the language ID as (a combination of) English UK, English US, English Canada, English Hong kong, English Singapore for the document being created. Therefore, we are able to use e.g. color and colour in the same document?

Thanks.

HansV
Administrator

Re: set language ID & detect language automatically

Post by HansV »

I usually turn off "Detect language automatically" because I've had it make some strange choices, but it would be the easiest way to handle this problem...
Best wishes,
Hans