moving auto text entires to a new 2007 template

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

moving auto text entires to a new 2007 template

Post by stuck »

In Word 2000 you could get to the Organizer dialog via Tools|Macros or Tools|Templates and Add-ins. That dialog had an AutoCorrect tab and in there you could move things from one file to another.

I've found the Organizer in Word 2007 but there is no AutoCorrect tab any more :hairout: so how do I do move AutoCorrect entires? I have a sinking feeling :toilet: that what was trivial is now not going to be simple.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: moving auto text entires to a new 2007 template

Post by HansV »

AutoCorrect is not the same as AutoText. I'll assume that you meant AutoText throughout. AutoText is now part of the so-called Building Blocks (Insert tab > Quick Parts > Building Blocks Organizer), and it's stored in a separate file: Building Blocks.dotx in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033 (where 1033 is the language ID). you can copy this file between computers, and open it in Word.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:AutoCorrect is not the same as AutoText.
:blush: no it's not so my OP is rubbish.

I have a handful of AutoCorrect entries that I thought lived inside the normal template. I'd like them to live inside a particular template so they don't get in the way and autocorrect except for docs built on the particular template.

Or do AutoCorrect entries live within Word's settings and thus are global to all docs, regardless of the template in use?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Unformatted AutoCorrect entries are stored in .acl files, while formatted entries are stored in the default template Normal.dotm. MSKB article How to move AutoCorrect entries in Word 2007 from one computer to another computer describes how to transfer both types.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

So I can't have formatted AutoCorrect entries in a particular template, they have to live in normal.

OK, I live with it.

Ken