User info and displayed in header

Robie
5StarLounger

User info and displayed in header

Post by Robie »

Hi

What are my options for getting info from the user which will be used as part of the header?

1. I can use the userform
2. Form field. Two problems here.
(a) Unable to input info in the formfield - don't know why.
(b) I loaded one of my old document which had form fields in it and I am able to input the information.
3. What else?
pst_userfield.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: User info and displayed in header

Post by HansV »

I'd use a userform with text boxes and/or combo boxes. In the OK button of the userform, you can set the value of document variables or of custom document properties. In the document (whether in the header/footer or in the body), you can use DocVariable or DocProperty fields to display their values.

See Post 15936 for an example.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:I'd use a userform with text boxes and/or combo boxes. In the OK button of the userform, you can set the value of document variables or of custom document properties. In the document (whether in the header/footer or in the body), you can use DocVariable or DocProperty fields to display their values.

See Post 15936 for an example.
Thanks Hans. Is that the only real option, i.e. userform? I have done userform before so that is not the problem. My manager wants something inline if possible, i.e. click on a field and add the necessary info.

What about macrobutton? Is that any good - never used them before nor know much about them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A macrobutton field lets the user run a macro from within the document. The field code looks like this:

{ MACROBUTTON MyMacro Double-click here }

The user will see the text Double-click here. When the user double-clicks the text, the macro MyMacro is run.

Advantage is that it's inline. Disadvantage is that it's inline - the display text will be printed with the document unless you format it as hidden, but then you'd have to instruct the users to show hidden text on the screen...
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:A macrobutton field lets the user run a macro from within the document. The field code looks like this:

{ MACROBUTTON MyMacro Double-click here }

The user will see the text Double-click here. When the user double-clicks the text, the macro MyMacro is run.

Advantage is that it's inline. Disadvantage is that it's inline - the display text will be printed with the document unless you format it as hidden, but then you'd have to instruct the users to show hidden text on the screen...
Thanks Hans. Userform looks the best option at the moment. I will go with that.