International keyboard not working in Internet Explorer

jmt356
SilverLounger

International keyboard not working in Internet Explorer

Post by jmt356 »

I installed the international keyboard today and it's great for shortcuts to inserting international characters in Word. I was happy to see it was also working in Windows Explorer's search box, but I couldn't get it to work in Internet Explorer's search box or in the Google.com search box when using Internet Explorer. Ironically, it works on Google.com when accessed from Google Chrome (I say "ironic" because I would have thought that the Internet Keyboard, put out by Microsoft Windows, would work on IE, a Microsoft product; rather, it works on Google Chrome, a non-Microsoft product).

Also, it works in the Save As dialogue for Photoshop 6.0, but not when I try to insert international characters in a text layer in a Photoshop document.

Even on this Lounge, I can't get it to create international characters such as é or ç--I had to type those first in a Word document and from there copy them into this post.

Has anyone else tried to use the international keyboard and if so, has s/he had any luck in using it with programs such as IE and Photoshop?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Re: International keyboard not working in Internet Explorer

Post by StuartR »

Can you explain what you mean by "the international keyboard"

Is this a piece of hardware, or software, what is the full name and where does it come from?
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you mean the United States-International keyboard layout?
x116.JPG
If you just switched to United States-International, you have to close all instances of Internet Explorer and start it again before it will "recognize" the setting. It works for me: ' followed by e produces é and ' followed by c produces ç.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Oh I see, now it works. Oh, and thanks for the tip Hans. Prior to your message, I was using the awkward combination right alt + comma to get ç; nice to know ' followed by c gets the same result.
Regards,

JMT