Tab does not work

omega0401
StarLounger

Tab does not work

Post by omega0401 »

I sometimes get a document that does not tab properly. When you use the tab key it seems like nothing happens but if you tab enough time a thick line starts to appear. The tab settings are clear and leader set to none. When I put a tab at a half inch it finally tabs over.

It is using normal font. When I check the style it shows "Font Alignment: Baseline, don't adjust space between Latin and Asian text, Don't adjust space between Asian text and numbers". Using the Format button, I can't tell where I can get rid of that alignment setting. That may or may not fix the problem.

This happens on Word 2002. Any ideas what's going on?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Tab does not work

Post by HansV »

If you look at the Format | Tabs... dialog in such a document, what is the setting for Default tab stops?
Best wishes,
Hans

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

HansV wrote:If you look at the Format | Tabs... dialog in such a document, what is the setting for Default tab stops?
Ah, it's set to zero. I changed it to half an inch and it work. Thanks Hans. I want to change the format "style" to a default but when I click on the format button and select tabs it doesn't show a default setting. That portion of the dialog was blank. I looked at the normal style and it too had a blank area. No default setting. How does the default get set in that case?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The "Default ab stops" setting is a document-level setting, not a style setting.

You can set specific tab stops for a style. All styles based on that style will automatically inherit those tab stops. So if you set tab stops for the Normal style, many other styles will inherit the same tab stops; you can modify them if desired.
Best wishes,
Hans

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

HansV wrote:The "Default ab stops" setting is a document-level setting, not a style setting.

You can set specific tab stops for a style. All styles based on that style will automatically inherit those tab stops. So if you set tab stops for the Normal style, many other styles will inherit the same tab stops; you can modify them if desired.
Now I know what to do for the next document that has this problem. Thank you for the help.