AutoSum in Word tables

jmt356
SilverLounger

AutoSum in Word tables

Post by jmt356 »

Autosum is a neat feature that can add figures in Word tables without needing to create a a separate Excel spreadsheet. But can it only add consecutive cells that have values in them? I have a table with 10 rows, and the 6th row is blank. The Autosum figure, which is in row 10, is only adding up rows 7-9. It only adds the values in Rows 1-5 when I put a 0 in row 6, but I want row 6 empty. For now, I'm putting a white zero in there that doesn't show up, but is there another solution?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Re: AutoSum in Word tables

Post by StuartR »

I assume that you are using a field with {=SUM(above) } to create the sum.
Assuming this is in the third column of the table try using
{=SUM(C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C7, C8, C9) }
replace C with the correct letter for the table column you need
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In addition to Stuart's reply: the formula =SUM(ABOVE) is a convenient shortcut, but formulas in Word tables work more or less the same as in Excel. The formula =SUM(C1:C9) will sum the cells in the 3rd column (C) from the 1st to the 9th row, ignoring empty cells and text values.
Unlike Excel, Word does not automatically adjust such a formula when you copy it to another column - you have to adjust it manually.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

{=SUM(ABOVE)} is the default formula that Word was using to count the cells, but the fact that one of the cellls had no value in it caused the formula to omit the figures in the cells above the empty cell. However, the formula {=SUM(C1:C9)} worked in capturing all of the values together even though one of the cells was blank.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Good to hear you have a solution thank you for letting us know.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Just 1 more quick question: why is Word automatically inserting a decimal point and two zeros to the right of it? It obviously recognized that the values in the cells being added were referring to dollars, since they had dollar signs next to them, and it automatically added a dollar sign next to the figure, and I don't mind that, but how can I get it to remove the decimal point and two zeros?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Right-click the formula and select Toggle Field Codes from the popup menu. Is there a format switch after the SUM(...) formula?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jmt356 wrote:Autosum is a neat feature that can ...
... act as a shortcut for formatting strings.
In my case the user (me!) had typed in track numbers, but the developer (me!) really wished they'd been keyed in as 3-digit strings:-
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle