Table sort sequence in Word 2003

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Table sort sequence in Word 2003

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(next day) better version of Index.doc attached; thanks Jefferson)
FYI
I noticed yesterday while sorting a simple table in Word 2003 that the sequence flip-flopped between sorting text-digits ahead of alphabetic text and after same. I can`t recall ever seeing this before in any version of Word (2,6, 95 etc.). I have attached the document in question.
My actions were simple repetitions of choosing Table, Sort, OK.

In the first image the previous Sort placed the (column 1) single letter `B`ahead of all the two-character digit rows, whereas the sort of image 1, shown as results in image 2, placed the digits ahead of the letters.
The results of the sort in image 2 are identical to those in image 1.
1.png
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 15 Feb 2011, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Re: Table sort sequence in Word 2003

Post by jscher2000 »

Bad attachment? Word tells me (3 times) it cannot start a particular converter and then suggests it is encoded text. I note the size is a bit small for a DOC (most DOC are at least 19KB).

JudyL
NewLounger

Post by JudyL »

ChrisGreaves wrote:repetitions of choosing Table, Sort, OK
Actually the screenshots indicate that there was a small difference in the two sortings -- the first sort was by Text, and the second was by Number. That would bring different results, and I believe that Word defaults to whichever method it thinks is best. Maybe when you started the first sort, a B entry was at the top of the list, and the second time a numbered entry was at top.

Judy

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JudyL wrote:the first sort was by Text, and the second was by Number.
Judy, Bingo!
Thanks you.
Yup. You're right; I'd missed that.
I couldn't believe it was a bug - I've been sorting tables since forever, and didn't want to think that I'd never spotted it.
The items were tagged as "B"log or newsletter items (hence issue numbers), and what rattles me is that I really did want them sorted separately. i was more amazed than anything when Word obliged.
Thanks again
(signed) "Regaining My Sanity" of Toronto.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jscher2000 wrote:Bad attachment?
Absolutely right, Jefferson, when I go look at it this morning. FWIW I'll try to fix and re-attach in a few minutes.