Heading for text inside box border

Caesar3
Lounger

Heading for text inside box border

Post by Caesar3 »

I'm working on a project that uses multilevel numbered lists (paragraphs). The document presents organizational policies and procedures. In several places in this document, we want to illustrate procedures by telling a story. The story should appear inside a box border, and it will have its own headline.

I built a text box that contains the headline and a single line of text. Both the headline and the line of text are macrobuttons. (For example, I pressed Ctrl+F9 and typed MACROBUTTON NOMACRO, followed by "Click here to insert headline.") I gave the text box a border and some light shading, and I ticked the little box to autoexpand the box to fit the contents.

Is there a more elegant way to get there? I'm not the only person who'll work on this and similar documents. I want to make it easy for other writers to add these text boxes. I can already see the eyes glazing over as I start explaining: "All you have to do is click Insert > Quick Parts > Building Blocks Organizer...." You know how this goes. :laugh:

One more question: When I insert one of these text boxes, it sits in front of ordinary text. The text box is transparent, so the text behind it shows through the text box. It would be better if the text box would insert itself between paragraphs. In the Build Blocks Organizer, I told it to insert the text box in its own paragraph, thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't.

Suggestions?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Heading for text inside box border

Post by HansV »

Right-click the border of the text box and select Format Text Box from the popup menu.
Activate the Layout tab.
Select Square as wrapping style.
Click OK.

You could add the text box to the Quick Parts gallery and store it in the template for your document. The user then only needs to click Quick Parts on the Insert tab of the ribbon and click the text box to insert it, no need to go through the Building Blocks Organizer.

Another option would be to create a macro that inserts the text box; this macro could be assigned to a button on the Quick Access Toolbar.
Best wishes,
Hans

Caesar3
Lounger

Re: Heading for text inside box border

Post by Caesar3 »

Great advice, Hans. :thankyou: Thanks!