Table margins

jmt356
SilverLounger

Table margins

Post by jmt356 »

I have some tables in a document and in each of them, I'd like to add a 3 pt cushion between the border of each row and the text inside of it. I thought I could achieve this by modifying the table style "Table Grid," which is the default style of text typed into the table, and adding 3 pt spacing before and after under the paragraph dialogue and then checking "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style." However, although this indeed adds the 3 pt cushion I am looking for, it is also adding 3 pt of space between paragraphs within the cell, even though they are all the same style (Table Grid) and I checked "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style." Is this normal? Is there a way around it?

I want to be able to modify all of the tables in the document at once without having to go into each table and inserting top and bottom cell margins.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Table margins

Post by StuartR »

jmt356 wrote:...
I want to be able to modify all of the tables in the document at once without having to go into each table and inserting top and bottom cell margins.
You don't say which version of Word, but the following worked for me using Word 2010.
  • I first created two tables, without applying any formatting
  • I placed the cursor outside both tables
  • I clicked the small arrow at the bottom right of the Styles group on the Home tab
  • I clicked the Manage Styles button (third button on the bottom row)
  • I selected the Table Grid style and clicked Modify
  • I clicked the Format button and selected Table Properties...
  • On the Table tab I clicked Options...
  • I set the top and bottom default cell margins to 3pt
  • I OK'd my way out of all the dialog boxes
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thank you Stuart. But shouldn’t it also work by adding 3 points of spacing before and after in the paragraph style dialogue of the Table Grid style? That works for me, but it’s when I’m trying to not add the space between paragraphs of the same style that I’m getting the problem. All of the text in my table is of the Table Grid style, but even though I am checking “Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style,” Word is inserting spaces between the paragraphs within the cells.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you want 3pt space at the top and bottom of every cell then the method I described will work.

If you want 3pt text before and after every paragraph then your method will work, but don't complain that this puts the spacing before and after every paragraph!
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

My method should achieve 3 pt of space only before the first paragraph and after the last paragraph when I set the Table Grid style to 3 pt before and 3 pt after and check "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style," and all of my paragraphs in the table are in the Table Grid style. So I don't understand why Word is inserting the 3 pt of space before and after every paragraph, even though they are all in the Table Grid style.

For now I'll continue to use your method ...
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I never use Word's table styles, as their behaviour never corresponds to my expectations!
StuartR

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

jmt356 wrote:Thank you Stuart. But shouldn’t it also work by adding 3 points of spacing before and after in the paragraph style dialogue of the Table Grid style? That works for me, but it’s when I’m trying to not add the space between paragraphs of the same style that I’m getting the problem. All of the text in my table is of the Table Grid style, but even though I am checking “Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style,” Word is inserting spaces between the paragraphs within the cells.
As you have found--and even in W2003, checking Don't add space between paragraphs in the same style does not work in tables or table styles. Some Word experts recommend using paragraph spacing to add space between the text and the borders, mainly, they say, because the formatting is more discoverable to less experienced users. So if you are happy with the paragraph spacing within tables or have novice users who may need to tighten up a table, use the paragraph spacing method. But I prefer to set that space as cell margins, because it will not be changed if I change the paragraph settings or style. I probably also like the method because it is more like what I did when coding HTML tables (cell padding) and speccing tables for hard and photo typesetting (the bear-off around cross- and downrules). Interestingly, in the XML file, Word's cell margin setting is called "padding".

Pam

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Pam, if I change the cell margins in the in the Options dialogue of the Cell tab of the Table Properties dialogue of the Modify Style dialogue of the Table Grid style, will it modify all of the cell margins in all of the tables in my document, or only the cells of the table being modified?
Regards,

JMT

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

You have your choice. Changing the settings in the Table Options dialog affects the margins for the whole table. Changing them in the Cell Options dialog affects the cell the cursor is in or the selected cells. To get to the Cell Options, click the Options button from the cell tab.

Pam

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks. But what I'm trying to do is change the margins for ALL CELLS in ALL TABLES in my document. There are many tables and I don't want to have to go through each one, editing it manually. This is why I was hopeing changing the Before and After Spacing for the Table Grid style would apply across all the tables, since the text in all of the tables is in hte Table Grid style, but unfortunately, modifying via the Spacing setting for Table Grid style is adding spaces between paragraphs in the same Table Grid style, and there appears to be no way around that right now ...
Regards,

JMT

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

In that case, modify the table style (Table Grid). Go to Table Tools tab > Design subtab Table Styles group. Right click the style with the orange (on my computer) highlight and choose Modify. On the Table tab click Options. Modifying the table style will change all the tables in the style.

I have a comment on your other question that may affect your tables, so if this is the same document, try modifying the table style on a copy, until I can log back on later today. Work calls.

Pam

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Is the Table Tools tab in Word 2003? If so, how would I get there?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Word 2003 doesn't have the ribbon, so there is no Table Tools tab.

Instead, select Table | Table AutoFormat...
Select Table Grid in the Table styles list.
Click Modify...
Best wishes,
Hans

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

Sorry, jmt. I thought I had seen questions from you about W2007. Thanks, Hans, for providing the answer I couldn't get to. It's been a long day.

Pam

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks Pam, Hans.

I was able to get as far as Hans got me:

Instead, select Table | Table AutoFormat...
Select Table Grid in the Table styles list.
Click Modify...

From there, I didn't see a Table tab or option for Options (see attached image).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

OK I've got my W2003 up and running (and work is done for now). In the modify style dialog, in the drop down after "Apply formatting to:" select "Whole table", then click the Format button (lower left). In the Table Properties dialog > Table tab, click the Options button (lower right). In the Table Options dialog, set your cell margins.

Cheers,
Pam

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks Pam!

Your instructions are a modification of what Stuart told me to do in Post 41666 (above). However, under his instructions, only the margins of the table whose small arrow I clicked on was modified. Under your instructions, all of the tables in the document are modified.

So from now on, when I want a space between the text and the top and bottom margins of my table, rather than going through the Paragraph dialogue of the Modify Style dialogue of the Styles and Formatting pane, I'll go through the Options dialogue of the Table Properties dialogue fo the Styles and Formatting pane, since in the Paragraph dialogue, checking "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style" doesn't do anything for me.
Regards,

JMT

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

That's the beauty of styles. --Glad to help.