headers associated with chapter titles in Heading 1

jmt356
SilverLounger

headers associated with chapter titles in Heading 1

Post by jmt356 »

I have a document with headers associated with chapter titles, which are in Heading 1. Heading 1 is associated with a bullets and numbering scheme, where each chapter begins with a number. After the number, I insert a soft return. For example:

Policy Considerations

I have linked up my odd page headers to show the title chapter titles by inserting fields corresponding to Heading 1. However, I get the headers broken up on two lines, as shown above. I thus tried deleting the field that is bringing up the chapter number, but then my headings consist of a blank line followed by a soft return and on a second line the chapter title, like this:

(blank line)
Policy Considerations

Is there a way to get rid of that blank line or will it always be there as long as I am using a soft return in my chapter titles?

Regards,

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: headers associated with chapter titles in Heading 1

Post by HansV »

This way, the blank line will remain. You might use two different styles for the numbering and the chapter titles, and refer to the style for the chapter titles in the heading. But that would probably wreak havoc with the table of contents, if you have one.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

How do publishers do it, then? Can't Word be used to format books for publishing? Or do they all use Indesign?

I doubt someone would manually go in and type up every one of those headers.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess that publishers use professional publishing software, not Word.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Like Indesign? Do you have any suggestions?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

InDesign has a good reputation as being a "professional" desktop publishing program, but I don't have any experience with this type of software myself, so a recomendation from me wouldn't mean anything.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I went into the Even Page headers and put a hard enter before the text in there so that it would look like what I have in the Odd Page headers, where a soft return is automatically being carried over from the chapter names. So now every section has a return. I then reduced the distance for headers to .32 rather than .5 to then shift everything up. So I was able to keep the soft returns in the chapter names and hide them in the headers by making everything consistent with them.
Regards,

JMT