Lines associated with headings

jmt356
SilverLounger

Lines associated with headings

Post by jmt356 »

I sometimes see in books lines that are inserted between the line containing the word "Chapter (#)" and the title of the actual chapter, such as:

Chapter 5
_________

International Relations

or

________

International Relations

Is there a way to do that without having to manually insert a line after each chapter number? For example, can I program a style (e.g., Heading 1) where a line follows after the chapter number?

Regards,

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Lines associated with headings

Post by HansV »

No, not as far as I know.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

But what I can do is insert a horizontal line in the header of the first page of each new section page and coordinate it so that it is placed directly in the center of the two lines. This way, it will automatically show up with the start of each new chapter without my having to manually insert it and place it, no?

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, that's true.
Best wishes,
Hans

William
StarLounger

Post by William »

Perhaps I don't understand the question ... but can you not add a bottom border to a style to produce a horizontal line?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I can't do it in a way that makes it show up automatically at each instance of the header; I would have to manually insert it or put it in the first page header which is where Heading 1 always shows up.
Regards,

JMT

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

jmt356 wrote:I can't do it in a way that makes it show up automatically at each instance of the header; I would have to manually insert it or put it in the first page header which is where Heading 1 always shows up.
So why are you putting Heading 1 in the header, rather than just in the body of the text at the start of the chapter? And if that is where you want it, and Heading 1 style isn't used anywhere else, I still don't see why the Heading 1 style should not be defined so as to include a border below it.

Ian

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

How would it be to define a style called Chapter_no (based on Heading 1) which is identical to Heading 1 except that it has a border underneath it, and that the next paragraph is set to be a style called Chapter_title which is also based on Heading 1 but does not have a line beneath it. (Both styles on this method would come out as Level 1, since they are based on Heading 1.
So at the start of a new chapter, you'd change the style to Chapter_no, type "Chapter 3" or whatever, press enter, type "International Relations" or whatever your chapter is called, then press enter again to get on with the writing.

Ian