small caps short cut in Word: ctrl + shift + K

jmt356
SilverLounger

small caps short cut in Word: ctrl + shift + K

Post by jmt356 »

I read online that the small caps short cut in Word was ctrl + shift + K. Indeed, that's what I used on my former laptop, but I can't remember if that was a built-in shortcut or if I manually programmed it.

In any case, that shortcut does nothing on my current current (Windows Vista running MS Word 2003). So I tried to set a particular text set to normal to small caps so that I woudl get the style "Normal + small caps" so that I could go into the Modify Style box and modify that style to set the shortcut to ctrl + shift + K. However, when I set normal text to small caps, the style name of Normal stays the same. It doesn't change to Normal + small caps. Therefore, if I try to take the normal text set to small caps to change the shortcut key, Word thinks I am trying to change teh shortcut leading to changing text to the Normal style. So if I select text and press ctrl + shift + K, it changes to normal (not small caps), rather than to small caps.

This is all a problem I am experiencing only in a particular template; when working in my Normal template, the style name of the selected text does change to Normal + small caps, adn so I am able to change that particular style and add a shortcut ot it.

Why won't it work in my other template, though?

Regards,

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: small caps short cut in Word: ctrl + shift + K

Post by HansV »

Ctrl+Shift+K is a built-in keyboard shortcut. If it doesn't work for you, the shortcut has probably been assigned to something else or deassigned.

Do the following:
- Select Tools | Customize...
- Click in the "Press new shortcut key" box.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+K.
- You can see what the keyboard shortcut is currently assigned to.
-If to another command than SmallCaqps, select it and click Remove.
- On the other handf, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to SmallCaps:
- Select All Commands in the list of categories.
- Select SmallCaps in the list of commands.
- Click in the "Press new shortcut key" box.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+K or whatever shortcut you prefer.
- If you want it to work in all documents, make sure Normal.dot is selected in the Save changes in box.
- Click Assign.
x409.png
Screenshot from Word 2007.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans