Template table suggestions?

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Template table suggestions?

Post by AlanMiller »

The attached is a document from which a client wants me to build an automated template of some sort. I think the majority can be achieved simply with styles. The section "Employment History" poses a bit of a problem though.

It requires "blocks" to be added in the format shown - date, job type, employer etc. on one side and a variable number of bullets on the other. I thought about a table to achieve the spatial layout (as opposed to tab settings) and possibly a macro to add a new pre-fromatted and styled row below the current selected row... also maybe one to delete the current row. I'm not familiar with the table style feature and I've also heard some criticism of it. I'm also not familiar with what autotext might have to offer in this context. Any ideas on this before I dive in would be appreciated.

thanks
Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Template table suggestions?

Post by HansV »

I would indeed use a table, with two columns and transparent borders. You could store a table with 4 rows (period, job title, employer, job description) as an AutoText entry. You could make this available through a custom toolbar button and/or keyboard shortcut. Macros wouldn't really be needed, I think.

See What Is AutoText and How Do I Use It? on the Word MVP site.
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Thanks Hans.
Just noticed on the MVP site, the revamp of Autotext in 2007. Would a 2003 template still work OK in 2007+?

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It should still work, except that the AutoCompletion feature doesn't work anymore.
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

This little exercise has proved to have its challenges! I think I'm targeting a system with numerous "dumbed down" terminals (and users to match :grin:). In short, I think I'll have to do it all without macros, which may be locked out on some of the terminals. I can get all the "features" working without macros (attached template) but I still have a coupla queries in terms of how this should present to the user.

As it stands, I have used hidden text within the template for user instructions. This won't print of course but will be no good in electronic docs produced. I thought of something as simple as a separate "usage instructions" document which could be viewed beside the template or even just followed from hard copy, like on page 2 of the attached. I don't know if I could trust all the users to delete the instructional stuff (hidden text) properly from a finished doc, as is my method for the current template. Trouble is that (instructional) comment balloons etc. might also show up on documents.

The biggest challenge is an undo capability for autotext inserted as a table (delete a table) - this may not be an Undo of the "immediate" variety, rather a deletion after review. I don't think many of the users will have the experience to understand tables in layouts and will probably just try to lean on Backspace or Del to try to undo such an insertion. Without using a macro, I don't know how to best achieve this for a user. Maybe just another hidden text instruction to use Table > Select > Table, Table > Delete > Rows ???

Anyway, any further suggestions appreciated, especially for making things simpler for the user to "get it right".

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You don't want instructions to end up in the final document, and I agree that you can't rely on users to delete instructions. So I'd go for a separate help file or document, or printed instructions.

I'd put the instructions on how to delete a table there too.

Without VBA your options are limited...
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:You don't want instructions to end up in the final document, and I agree that you can't rely on users to delete instructions. So I'd go for a separate help file or document, or printed instructions.

I'd put the instructions on how to delete a table there too.

Without VBA your options are limited...
Thanks Hans. Looks like that will have to do. Still, if it gets the job done...

Alan