Converting PDF files to Word 2010 Documents

BigKev
StarLounger

Converting PDF files to Word 2010 Documents

Post by BigKev »

With the advent of our new ERP (SAP) system, I have been given (sic) the unenviable task of updating our Operating and Procedures Manuals.

Our old, and when I say old I mean OLD, manuals, there are 4 of them, are in PDF format and run to about 1,300 pages each.

I have two questions.

1. Can anybody recommend the best software, free or paid, to convert these files into Word 2010 documents. The documents are structured with Chapters and Sub-chapters and contain screen shots and other graphics.

2. Once the files are converted would I be right in saying that the best way to organize the document is to create individual documents for each chapter, thus keeping each file to a manageable 50 or 60 pages, and then create a 'Master Document' containing links to the chapter documents? This would have the effect of allowing the individual documents to be edited without the hassle of setting up document sharing and synchronization.

As always any and all help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Kevin Bell

HansV
Administrator

Re: Converting PDF files to Word 2010 Documents

Post by HansV »

PowerPoint MVP Steve Rindsberg wrote
Converting a PPT to a PDF is like turning meat, veggies, spices and water into stew. Pretty simple.

Converting a PDF to a PPT is like turning stew back into the original meat, veggies, spices and water. Darn near impossible.
Much the same holds for Word. However, DaveA reports that he uses Nuance - OmniPage with success.

If you can manage to get the chapter titles (and no other text) formatted as Heading 1, Word can perform the splitting into Master and Sub documents.
Best wishes,
Hans

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

BigKev wrote: 1. Can anybody recommend the best software, free or paid, to convert these files into Word 2010 documents. The documents are structured with Chapters and Sub-chapters and contain screen shots and other graphics.
Hi Kevin
    You might find This site of use.
Regards
Don

BigKev
StarLounger

Post by BigKev »

Thanks Hans and Don. Looks like I thought, a bag of worms I really don't want to open. However, I'll persevere and post my results.

The OmniPage page is interesting but unfortunately doesn't have a trail version as I would like to try before I buy. $500 is expensive for something that 'might' do the trick.

The Adobe has a trial version but for the life of me I can't get it to download. I registered and logged-in but after that clicking the Download button appears to do nothing. I noticed also that in true Adobe fashion the download is over 200MB.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Kevin

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Another one is Nitro PDF - it claims to be able to convert "intelligently" and it has a free trial. I have no experience with it myself.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

By the way, Nitro PDF has a free online service which you might try (with a non-sensitive document of course, and perhaps a throw-away email address) to see how good the conversion is:

Convert PDF to Word
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

For just the OCR program go to http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-p ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as it is $149.00 US.
The $500.00 is for the full document management package.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

HansV wrote:By the way, Nitro PDF has a free online service which you might try (with a non-sensitive document of course, and perhaps a throw-away email address) to see how good the conversion is:

Convert PDF to Word

This one is great Hans. Thank you! I took one of my old .pdf handouts and tried it on this site. It took a day to get it in the mail but it was in mint condition and .doc format. This is a good service.

:)
If you can't convince them, confuse them - Harry S. Truman

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

teachesms wrote:This one is great Hans. Thank you! I took one of my old .pdf handouts and tried it on this site. It took a day to get it in the mail but it was in mint condition and .doc format. This is a good service.
Thanks for the feedback - it's good to hear that!
Best wishes,
Hans