Should I upgrade Word 2007?

GeekGirlInFurs
Lounger

Should I upgrade Word 2007?

Post by GeekGirlInFurs »

Hello all. Would appreciate your thoughts.

I am still using Word 2007. What can I say - it serves my purposes and is working fine on multiple devices, all using copies of the same Normal template, styles, keyboard shortcuts, and VBA macros I've been cultivating for nearly 20 years.

For various reasons, none of them especially critical, I find myself tempted to upgrade to Office 2019. Mostly due to some occasional anomalies I see in copying/pasting/importing/etc between Word and certain other newer programs, that make me wonder if an upgrade would make a difference. (TBH, I mostly doubt it.) There are also some anomalies I see on higher resolutions screens than were common 14 years ago that I hope might be fixed (e.g., opening or previewing certain rtf files causes Word's ribbon and other chroming to get super scaled down, even though the document display remains normal.) I also recall some interesting changes made a few versions back to the Document Map, that might be fun.

I have no interest in using the online Word 365. But I am concerned that somehow the newer versions of "standalone" Word (and Excel too) have nevertheless been "cloud-ified" and integrated into MS's online platforms in ways that will make me regret the upgrade.

Also: will my Normal template and macros still work, or have they somehow messed with that?

All comments appreciated!

Thank you!

GGIF

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Re: Should I upgrade Word 2007?

Post by Charles Kenyon »

1. I have never liked Word 2007 and considered it a Beta release.
2. Your macros should work.
3. Your normal template should work.
4. You can load Word 2019 on the same computer that has Word 2007 and have both active so you should not lose anything by adding it.
5. Word 2021 is scheduled for release this fall.
6. I do not know that anything that is of concern to you will be better.

GeekGirlInFurs
Lounger

Post by GeekGirlInFurs »

So, almost a year later, thank you for that reply. And now, a follow up.

If I buy a new version of Microsoft Office, from an authorized dealer, and the description says that it is 1 key for 1 device is that version forever tied to that specific device, so that were I to get a new device, there is no way to deactivate it from the first device and use it on a second device?

That seems to be how it works, but it is not clear.

Are there alternatives to that kind of licensing other than using something other than Office? I would like to avoid getting involved with Office 365 and subscription schemes.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If Office comes preinstalled on a computer by the manufacturer, it is (almost certainly) a so-called OEM version that is tied to that computer. An OEM license cannot be transferred to a different computer.
But if you buy Office 2021 (or Word 2021) from an authorized dealer, you can use it on one device only, but should you get a new computer, you should be able to transfer the license from the old computer to the new one: it is not tied to a specific computer. You may need to contact Microsoft to activate the license on the new computer.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If this is for personal use then a personal or family subscription will allow you to install Office on multiple computers for a fixed annual fee.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/microso ... 5-products
StuartR

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

The "perpetual license," one-time purchase Office Home & Business, Office Home & Student, and Office Professional can only be installed on a single computer at a time. If you either want to move it to a different computer or reinstall after a repair to your current computer you need to first deactivate the initial install.

The method for doing this is shown here:
https://support.office.com/article/acti ... _reinstall