Mail Merge Using Excel Data

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Mail Merge Using Excel Data

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Glad it appears to be working.

Apparently the document that I attached somehow lost its mail merge settings, so you'd have to select Start Mail Merge > Labels again on the Mailings tab of the ribbon.
Cancel selecting a label type (that has already been done), then click Select Recipients, etc.
Thanks. I do have another question although there is much I don't understand about how this is working especially when there is no enter between some merge fields but it is working great. However, in the other merge I attached there is another filed named Street_Address2 and, it like AuxiliaryName, most often has no data and should not print out a blank line. Would I use the same code like {MERGEFIELD Street_Address2 \b " Enter " } and another enter after that last bracket? I know I do not use the word "enter just did that for clarification. The Street_Address2 would follow the field Street_Address I assume from what I can tell both fields are followed by the Enter key then we get to the City, State, Zip Code.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, that is correct (as far as I can tell)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Again sorry to ask this but would you please look at that first merge I attached because I just tried what I mentioned in the above post and it messed things all up for that merge. There are a couple other merge fields in it besides the Street_Address2 and I left them alone but I think that may have been a mistake.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I got to thinking you may need a data file to look at that first merge. Though it isn't an Access file it has the same fields in it as those the first uploaded merge are looking for. So hopefully it will be useful. I'll up load the first merge again so they are both here. They are not yet associated to each other though.
Address2.xlsx
Test -5160NoPostalCode.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here is the document with edited merge fields.
Test -5160NoPostalCode.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

FWIW, if the Street_Address2 mergefield is all that's in a paragraph, the mailmerge should suppress that paragraph automatically without the need for any switches.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There appears to be a problem with that in Word recently, Paul.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you again for all your help. It appears to be working accurately. I have many more merges but this one is the one most often used. I hope when MS calls they have a solution.

Sorry I just noticed something out of order and I'm not sure how to correct it without messing everything else up. The merge fields of II_Jr and Family are out of order. II_Jr needs to be in front of Family. Can I just cut it and paste it in front of Family or will that mess everything up again?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, you cannot simply copy/paste the entire merge fields.
- Select the first cell.
- Set the font size to for example 6 points.
- Press Alt+F9 to display field codes.
- Change Family inside the field brackets { } to II_Jr and change II_Jr to Family.
- Press Alt+F9 to hide the field codes again.
- Select the first cell.
- Set the font size to 12 points.
- Click the 'Update Labels' button.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:No, you cannot simply copy/paste the entire merge fields.
- Select the first cell.
- Set the font size to for example 6 points.
- Press Alt+F9 to display field codes.
- Change Family inside the field brackets { } to II_Jr and change II_Jr to Family.
- Press Alt+F9 to hide the field codes again.
- Select the first cell.
- Set the font size to 12 points.
- Click the 'Update Labels' button.
I will try this but to be sure I am doing it correctly, do I just delete II_Jr and then type Family or do I have to somehow insert it? Plus I notice you have code in addition to II_Jr would that remain then with Family once they are changed?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I tried both methods I mentioned above. I deleted Family, typed II_Jr, left the code you put into that entry, deleted II_Jr and typed Family and it looked OK but would not allow me to update all the rest of the document. I then deleted the fields and used insert merge field instead of typing them and I got all kinds of errors in the cell I was editing.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here is the modified document...
Test2 -5160NoPostalCode.docx
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you so much. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong when I try editing them. I'll stop this now and hope MS has some answers when I get to talk to them tomorrow. I'm betting they won't but I am going to have samples ready to give them to work on. Again thank you for ALL your help and work.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

As promised I am reporting my conversation with Microsoft support but before that I have 1 question; How can I make my merges show the label or table lines. I can make them show a grid but that seems different from what the actual outlines of the labels are supposed to be.

The MS support person made me nervous watching all he did but essentially he uninstalled Office 365 - 32 Bit version and reinstalled Office 365 - 64 Bit version because he noticed my OS was 64 Bit. Believe it or not that made all my old merges work perfectly once again except for the concern I have about my question above. So once more how can I make the label outline show in my merges?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I think I got the proper label gird line to display. Funny the same steps in the 32 Bit version did not display the same for me but it is working now.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the update.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

When the support person suggested removing 32 Bit and installing the 64 Bit version I was very hesitant and mentioned that a couple years ago they also had installed the 64 Bit version when it was Office 2013 and that I had some problems but I couldn't recall what they were. He said this wasn't Office 2013 and I shouldn't have any problems with this 64 Bit version. He also suggested that I uninstall the 32 Bit version on my other machines and install the 64 Bit version today but I told him I was going to test this out for a few days to make sure all was well. He also told me he had never heard of this problem before but I was able to demonstrate it so he knew it was there. Hopefully MS will address this in the future.

He said he would call me again in a few days to see how everything was going. I have to say I was very pleased with this service. I do believe it is all part of the Office 365 subscription.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I am trying to experiment with the switches I have seen used in this thread and in doing so I am starting new merges. I noticed that when I start a new merge the label grid lines are never shown. I can make them show but is there a way to make these grid lines show as the default?

When I use Layout, Page Setup, Layout, Borders, Borders, Grid Lines and then OK the dialog box closes but if I go back to the Page Setup dialog box and try to use "Set As Default" it says it will use these settings on all documents using the Normal.dotm. I don't think that is what I want because it shows margins as well and all I want is to make the grid lines show when using tables or labels.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Position the insertion point in any table.
Activate the Layout tab of the ribbon under Table Tools (not the Layout tab that is always visible even if the insertion point is not in a table).
Click to highlight the View Gridlines button in the Table group. Word should remember this setting.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Position the insertion point in any table.
Activate the Layout tab of the ribbon under Table Tools (not the Layout tab that is always visible even if the insertion point is not in a table).
Click to highlight the View Gridlines button in the Table group. Word should remember this setting.
Thanks that seems to work. Everything I have read before asking here didn't tell me that but it did say that the grind lines should be visible by default and, of course, that wasn't the case for me. Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton