Insert and Delete Pages

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Insert and Delete Pages

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear Community,

Is there any way to delete the pages without using back space or selecting the content from page top to bottom and then delete. Because if i use this method alignment of the other pages also changed. How to insert the specific pages from one word document to other document without any changes in alignment in both of the documents. For example i want to delete the second page of this attachment8 and insert the two pages from client satisfaction form. if i copy the client satisfaction form to attachment file alignment is changing. How to do this without any alignment changes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Insert and Delete Pages

Post by HansV »

I'll look at your question this evening (European time).
Best wishes,
Hans

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear sir,

Sir thank you so much sir. When you will be free teach me sir. But sir i am wondering sir. Because its little bit difficult for me if i need to edit existing pages with header and footer especially if i want to delete the pages and inserting the pages. :sad: For instance i am working with one word document it have 4 pages. i want to delete the 2nd page if i put a cursor on the top of the 2nd page and press delete button the content of 3rd pages also moving upward direction. So the paragraph or line alignment will be changed. so again i need fix all the pages. This is ok for small number of pages. But what to do sir if i want to work with more than 100pages. I need to check every pages and if i need to make alignment i have to do for all pages. Kindly teach me sir. :smile:

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

The problem you have when deleting Section breaks is that they're what all the page layout specs, including headers & footers, for the Section are attached to. The following macro preserves the page layout across multiple deleted Section breaks. All common page layout issues (margins, page orientation, text columns, headers & footers) are addressed.

Code: Select all

Sub MergeSections()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim sPageHght As Single, sPageWdth As Single
Dim sHeaderDist As Single, sFooterDist As Single
Dim sTMargin As Single, sBMargin As Single
Dim sLMargin As Single, sRMargin As Single
Dim sGutter As Single, sGutterPos As Single
Dim lPaperSize As Long, lGutterStyle As Long
Dim lMirrorMargins As Long, lVerticalAlignment As Long
Dim lScnStart As Long, lScnDir As Long
Dim lOddEvenHdFt As Long, lDiffFirstHdFt As Long
Dim bTwoPagesOnOne As Boolean, bBkFldPrnt As Boolean
Dim bBkFldPrnShts As Boolean, bBkFldRevPrnt As Boolean
Dim bOrientation As Boolean, oHdFt As HeaderFooter
Dim Sctn1 As Section, Sctn2 As Section
With Selection
  If .Sections.Count = 1 Then
    MsgBox "Selection does not span a Section break", vbExclamation
    Exit Sub
  End If
  Set Sctn1 = .Sections.First: Set Sctn2 = .Sections.Last
  With Sctn1.PageSetup
    lPaperSize = .PaperSize
    lGutterStyle = .GutterStyle
    bOrientation = .Orientation
    lMirrorMargins = .MirrorMargins
    lScnStart = .SectionStart
    lScnDir = .SectionDirection
    lOddEvenHdFt = .OddAndEvenPagesHeaderFooter
    lDiffFirstHdFt = .DifferentFirstPageHeaderFooter
    lVerticalAlignment = .VerticalAlignment
    sPageHght = .PageHeight
    sPageWdth = .PageWidth
    sTMargin = .TopMargin
    sBMargin = .BottomMargin
    sLMargin = .LeftMargin
    sRMargin = .RightMargin
    sGutter = .Gutter
    sGutterPos = .GutterPos
    sHeaderDist = .HeaderDistance
    sFooterDist = .FooterDistance
    bTwoPagesOnOne = .TwoPagesOnOne
    bBkFldPrnt = .BookFoldPrinting
    bBkFldPrnShts = .BookFoldPrintingSheets
    bBkFldRevPrnt = .BookFoldRevPrinting
  End With
  With Sctn2.PageSetup
    .GutterStyle = lGutterStyle
    .MirrorMargins = lMirrorMargins
    .SectionStart = lScnStart
    .SectionDirection = lScnDir
    .OddAndEvenPagesHeaderFooter = lOddEvenHdFt
    .DifferentFirstPageHeaderFooter = lDiffFirstHdFt
    .VerticalAlignment = lVerticalAlignment
    .PageHeight = sPageHght
    .PageWidth = sPageWdth
    .TopMargin = sTMargin
    .BottomMargin = sBMargin
    .LeftMargin = sLMargin
    .RightMargin = sRMargin
    .Gutter = sGutter
    .GutterPos = sGutterPos
    .HeaderDistance = sHeaderDist
    .FooterDistance = sFooterDist
    .TwoPagesOnOne = bTwoPagesOnOne
    .BookFoldPrinting = bBkFldPrnt
    .BookFoldPrintingSheets = bBkFldPrnShts
    .BookFoldRevPrinting = bBkFldRevPrnt
    .PaperSize = lPaperSize
    .Orientation = bOrientation
  End With
  With Sctn2
    For Each oHdFt In .Footers
      oHdFt.LinkToPrevious = Sctn1.Footers(oHdFt.Index).LinkToPrevious
      If oHdFt.LinkToPrevious = False Then
        Sctn1.Headers(oHdFt.Index).Range.Copy
        oHdFt.Range.Paste
      End If
    Next
    For Each oHdFt In .Headers
      oHdFt.LinkToPrevious = Sctn1.Headers(oHdFt.Index).LinkToPrevious
      If oHdFt.LinkToPrevious = False Then
        Sctn1.Headers(oHdFt.Index).Range.Copy
        oHdFt.Range.Paste
      End If
    Next
  End With
  While .Sections.Count > 1
    .Sections.First.Range.Characters.Last.Delete
  Wend
  Set Sctn1 = Nothing: Set Sctn2 = Nothing
End With
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

For starters the alignment issue just may start because the file contains space, space, space, space, space, space, to format the text. All of the space, space, space, needs to be replaced with correct tabbing. The tabs need to be defined and set to right position and not use tab, tab, tab.

If you were to turn on the "Nonprinting characters" you will see all of these spaces, plus all of the other minor issues.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

DaveA wrote:For starters the alignment issue just may start because the file contains space, space, space, space, space, space, to format the text.
There's no evidence of that being the underlying issue in either of the attachments.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear All,

Good morning to all, I searched about this topic in online. Someone said that if we want to delete the page exactly we can use goto option and \page then entire page will be selected then if we delete the page entire page will be deleted. I tried this method but header is not deleted. Then i try to delete the non printable character of the page. But i couldn't delete that character. i Couldn't use section break. because if i try to do section break it create 3rd page. one more thing is if use paste special option keep formatting source alignment also changed. Could you please help me how to do this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

The underlying issue with your documents is their illogical use of Section breaks (especially Continuous Section beaks) and the way those compromise attempts to combine parts of one document with part of another. I do have to agree with Dave, though, that your use of spaces, etc. to manage the layout is far from optimal. You'll find things much easier to manage if you fix these things. See attached.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

macropod wrote: to manage the layout is far from optimal. You'll find things much easier to manage if you fix these things. See attached.
Dear sir,

Thank you sir but I don't understand sir what you mean. You mean this kind of issues we can not rectify. In your attachment i couldn't see any changes sir. Now what i want to do sir.

siamandm
BronzeLounger

Post by siamandm »

HI ,
in this link explained how to move one page or multiple pages from one-word file to another one ... hope this help

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/ ... other.html

and the other quick way is :
1- in the destination file, insert page break where you want to insert the pages ...
2- do the same alignment to the inserted page same as the source file
3- copy and paste the pages

regards

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

BOOBALAN.V wrote:In your attachment i couldn't see any changes sir. Now what i want to do sir.
If you compare my attachments against those in your first post, you will see they are indeed structured quite differently. Each has one less Section break than you had (both being unnecessary Continuous Section breaks) and uses tabs & tab-stops to manage the checkbox layout. Having got rid of those unnecessary Continuous Section breaks, the documents are now much easier to merge.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

siamandm wrote:in this link explained how to move one page or multiple pages from one-word file to another one
and the other quick way is
Neither of those approaches deals adequately with documents that have different page layouts, as is the case in this thread. Using page breaks, in particular, is singularly ineffective in this case.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Boobalan,

Moving pages between documents that have different page layouts, headers/footers etc. will always be a lot of work, because if you copy/paste a page with its page layout, you may mess up the layout of the target document, and if you copy/paste without it, the pasted page may look very different from the original. So whichever way you use, you'll have to perform lots of repairs. There is no easy solution in my opinion, even with macropod's improved layout, sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear sir,
Good evening sir. You are right sir. I tried even kutools. But that also not working in my case. Actually i did my work with PDF tool adobe acrobat without compromising my document alignment. :smile: Inserting pages and deleting pages without any problem. But sir i was really wondering i am going to get a proper answer for this case. :sad: MS Word should not be like this. Why sir they didn't update regarding this issues. Everybody going to add some pages or delete some pages from one document to other. Why they didn't consider this kind of issues. Is this really good for documentation. :smile: Anyway thank you so much guys you all. Especially Mr.macropd sir. Sir really thank you so much sir for your coding. Because you have spent your valuable time for me. I hope this would be helpful for everyone i mean your VBA code. Once again thank you all. :thankyou:

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Actually i did my work with PDF tool adobe acrobat without compromising my document alignment. :smile: Inserting pages and deleting pages without any problem. But sir i was really wondering i am going to get a proper answer for this case. :sad: MS Word should not be like this. Why sir they didn't update regarding this issues.
Word and Acrobat work very differently. In Word, text is intended to flow through a document with page breaks being inserted as needed for printing. It generally does not really see pages at all until it is time to print.

You can interfere with this by inserting page breaks, to some extent.

Acrobat is a print emulation that deals more with pages than with text.
:sad: MS Word should not be like this. Why sir they didn't update regarding this issues.
MS Word is like this. It always has been and it is likely to remain this way. To change it into a page layout program would change its very nature. It is reasonable to want a program that does what you want, but Word is not that program.

MS does have Publisher, which is a part of many Office suites and does allow movement of pages. If Adobe Acrobat is doing what you want, use it. I often use Acrobat when I want to combine things from disparate sources; when I want to move pages around, rather than edit the actual content.

Paul has given you some tools. You need to understand what you are doing when you insert Section breaks. It is far more than a page break. You are adding a fair amount of complexity to your document each time you add a Section break. Each Section break carries a bunch of formatting for that section which you may not even see.
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/sections2007.htm
Last edited by Charles Kenyon on 30 Sep 2017, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Here is another tool which you could use, if you want to continue using Word for this purpose:
https://wordaddins.com/products/word-to ... d-footers/

You will still need, at least, a rudimentary understanding of how Sections work, though.

When you insert a Section Break in Word, you add the following to your document:
:smile: Three headers (even if you see none of them); by default, these will be linked to those in the previous section.
:smile: Three footers (even if you see none of them); by default, these will be linked to those in the previous section.
:smile: Page margin settings (even if you did not change them).
:smile: Column settings (even if you did not change them).
:smile: Orientation settings (even if you did not change them).
:smile: Page number formatting (even if you did not change it for this section); same as the previous section upon insertion of section break. If you restarted numbering in the previous section, it will restart now.

This is true even if there are two continuous Section Breaks on a single page and you see no headers, footers, or page numbers between those Section Breaks; they are present in your document and can change how subsequent sections behave.

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

If you plan on continuing to use Word, extensively, you owe it to yourself to learn more about how it works. It is not a typewriter; it is not Acrobat, or any other program. You will save yourself time and frustration.
Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word: http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/Ba ... tsWord.htm

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

In post #1 you said:
BOOBALAN.V wrote:For example i want to delete the second page of this attachment8 and insert the two pages from client satisfaction form.
To give you an idea of what's involved in such an exercise, try the following macro. I've written it to work the other way around from what you described, as that's simpler in this particular case! In other words, the macro allows you to insert the first Section from another document (e.g. my Attachment-8A) and before the content of an existing active document (e.g. my attachment Client Satisfaction Survey1A). The result is the same as doing it the way you described except insofar as which document gets modified.

Code: Select all

Sub ImportDocumentPart()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsNone
Dim DocSrc As Document, DocTgt As Document
Dim strDocNm As String, Rng As Range, HdFt As HeaderFooter
Set DocTgt = ActiveDocument
strDocNm = DocTgt.FullName
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
  If .Show = -1 Then
    Set DocSrc = Documents.Open(FileName:=.Name, AddToRecentFiles:=False, Visible:=False)
    With DocTgt
      .Range.Characters.First.InsertBreak Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage
      Set Rng = .Range.Characters.First
      With Rng
        .InsertBefore vbCr
        .Collapse wdCollapseStart
      End With
      With .Sections(2)
        For Each HdFt In .Headers
          HdFt.LinkToPrevious = False
        Next
        For Each HdFt In .Footers
          HdFt.LinkToPrevious = False
        Next
      End With
      With .Sections(1)
        For Each HdFt In .Headers
          With HdFt.Range
            If Len(DocSrc.Sections.First.Headers(HdFt.Index).Range.Text) > 1 Then
              .FormattedText = DocSrc.Sections.First.Headers(HdFt.Index).Range.FormattedText
              .Characters.Last.Delete
            Else
              .Text = vbNullString
            End If
          End With
        Next
        For Each HdFt In .Footers
          With HdFt.Range
            If Len(DocSrc.Sections.First.Footers(HdFt.Index).Range.Text) > 1 Then
              .FormattedText = DocSrc.Sections.First.Footers(HdFt.Index).Range.FormattedText
              .Characters.Last.Delete
            Else
              .Text = vbNullString
            End If
          End With
        Next
        Call LayoutTransfer(DocSrc.Range.Characters.First, .Range.Characters.First)
        Set Rng = DocSrc.Sections.First.Range
        Rng.End = Rng.End - 1
        .Range.Characters.First.FormattedText = Rng.FormattedText
      End With
    End With
    DocSrc.Close False
  End If
End With
Set Rng = Nothing: Set DocTgt = Nothing: Set DocSrc = Nothing
Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsAll
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Sub LayoutTransfer(RngSrc As Range, RngTgt As Range)
'Page Layout variables
Dim sPageHght As Single, sPageWdth As Single
Dim sHeaderDist As Single, sFooterDist As Single
Dim sTMargin As Single, sBMargin As Single
Dim sLMargin As Single, sRMargin As Single
Dim sGutter As Single, sGutterPos As Single
Dim lPaperSize As Long, lGutterStyle As Long
Dim lMirrorMargins As Long, lVerticalAlignment As Long
Dim lScnStart As Long, lScnDir As Long
Dim lOddEvenHdFt As Long, lDiffFirstHdFt As Long
Dim bTwoPagesOnOne As Boolean, bBkFldPrnt As Boolean
Dim bBkFldPrnShts As Boolean, bBkFldRevPrnt As Boolean
Dim bOrientation As Boolean
'Get Page Setup parameters
With RngSrc.Sections.First.PageSetup
  lPaperSize = .PaperSize
  lGutterStyle = .GutterStyle
  bOrientation = .Orientation
  lMirrorMargins = .MirrorMargins
  lScnDir = .SectionDirection
  lOddEvenHdFt = .OddAndEvenPagesHeaderFooter
  lDiffFirstHdFt = .DifferentFirstPageHeaderFooter
  lVerticalAlignment = .VerticalAlignment
  sPageHght = .PageHeight
  sPageWdth = .PageWidth
  sTMargin = .TopMargin
  sBMargin = .BottomMargin
  sLMargin = .LeftMargin
  sRMargin = .RightMargin
  sGutter = .Gutter
  sGutterPos = .GutterPos
  sHeaderDist = .HeaderDistance
  sFooterDist = .FooterDistance
  bTwoPagesOnOne = .TwoPagesOnOne
  bBkFldPrnt = .BookFoldPrinting
  bBkFldPrnShts = .BookFoldPrintingSheets
  bBkFldRevPrnt = .BookFoldRevPrinting
End With
'Set Page Setup parameters
With RngTgt.Sections.First.PageSetup
  .GutterStyle = lGutterStyle
  .MirrorMargins = lMirrorMargins
  .SectionDirection = lScnDir
  .OddAndEvenPagesHeaderFooter = lOddEvenHdFt
  .DifferentFirstPageHeaderFooter = lDiffFirstHdFt
  .VerticalAlignment = lVerticalAlignment
  .PageHeight = sPageHght
  .PageWidth = sPageWdth
  .TopMargin = sTMargin
  .BottomMargin = sBMargin
  .LeftMargin = sLMargin
  .RightMargin = sRMargin
  .Gutter = sGutter
  .GutterPos = sGutterPos
  .HeaderDistance = sHeaderDist
  .FooterDistance = sFooterDist
  .TwoPagesOnOne = bTwoPagesOnOne
  .BookFoldPrinting = bBkFldPrnt
  .BookFoldPrintingSheets = bBkFldPrnShts
  .BookFoldRevPrinting = bBkFldRevPrnt
  .PaperSize = lPaperSize
  .Orientation = bOrientation
End With
End Sub
The code works fine for this particular scenario; making it generic would require a lot more work.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]