Exclude dictionary - US - Word 2010

JudyL
NewLounger

Exclude dictionary - US - Word 2010

Post by JudyL »

I believe that it used to be possible to make more than one exclusion dictionary for one's personal use, but now that Word pre-builds a separate exclusion dictionary for each language (many languages, anyway), I don't know if it can still be done.

So -- does anyone know how to create and put into use a second English-US exclusion dictionary in Word 2010 and above? I would like to have this second one for a different category of words than I put in my default English-US exclusion dictionary (i.e., misspellings resulting from OCR-ing a document -- these "scannos" can be very common words, words that I wouldn't usually want Spellcheck to stop on).

HansV
Administrator

Re: Exclude dictionary - US - Word 2010

Post by HansV »

Long time no see!

As far as I can tell, Word 2007 and later allow only one exclusion dictionary per language. See this article by Word MVP Suzanne S. Barnhill: Create an Exclusion Dictionary. So you'd have to store your exclusion dictionaries in another folder, and copy the one you want to use into your custom dictionary folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof). Tedious, I know...
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

PS: The e-mail address in your user profile is not valid anymore, so the e-mail notification of my reply could not be delivered. You can update the e-mail address in Edit Account Settings.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Cross posted at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showth ... ost1043087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe
Joe

JudyL
NewLounger

Post by JudyL »

Thanks, Hans -- I'll let you know if I ever figure out a way to do this!

Thanks, Joe -- I didn't realize that "cross-posting" was frowned on (or was even a phrase!) -- duly noted --

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Judy,

Some forums are pretty strict on cross posting and come down quite :cranky: on members, pointing them to the rules of that forum and warning them about the etiquette of the matter. Basically, there is nothing wrong with posting on multiple sites, but it is required (by etiquette) to link the cross posted messages to each other so that persons reading the one message can link to the other similar message and be able to either get the answer (if there is one, or determine if the query is resolved). People that take time to reply don't want to spend several minutes constructing a reply when the person who posted the question already has their reply from the other site and the issue is resolve. Linking the threads will help to avoid that issue. The reply from Joe is not a reprimand, but rather just a considerate link to your thread on the other site, so people can learn from the other replies and/or determine if this query is resolved. :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.