Seen the new iPad ... ???

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Seen the new iPad ... ???

Post by Bowlie »

My goodness, it's an iPod touch on steroids .... see: http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:wine: Now where is that drool smilie???

HansV
Administrator

Re: Seen the new iPad ... ???

Post by HansV »

It certainly looks very attractive!
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

I am very tempted. I like one of the technical specs:
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
Tony

mwolfman
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Post by mwolfman »

I just saw the video - WOW, I am getting one!!! On the first day!!!

I love my iphone, macbook pro and my macbook air but that is soooo pretty...
Mike Wolfman

--To err is human; to really screw up requires root

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Bowlie wrote:My goodness, it's an iPod touch on steroids .... see: http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:wine: Now where is that drool smilie???
It will be awhile before I save enough :money: for this but I sure would like one! :cool:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Unfortunate naming for a female.

I've yet to be convinced about how good it is.

I love my iPhone, but the iPad just seems to be a very large iPod.

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

It's amazing how Apple pricing works. I have an old iPhone I believe was priced about the same when it came out.

Wait for the 2nd generation and it most likely will cost $199

Regards,
John
Regards,
John

StoneChucker
StarLounger

Post by StoneChucker »

I'm undecided on this. I like the idea of a thin tablet platform, however I don't know if this device is meant to be a "large iPod", or a PC (as in Personal Computer) replacement.

If it can do all the things my Lenovo ThinkPad (running LinuxMint 8) does, then I'll consider it.

Christopher

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

StoneChucker wrote:I'm undecided on this. I like the idea of a thin tablet platform, however I don't know if this device is meant to be a "large iPod", or a PC (as in Personal Computer) replacement.

If it can do all the things my Lenovo ThinkPad (running LinuxMint 8) does, then I'll consider it.
Well ... It won't do MS Office (it will do the Mac iWork suite: Word Processing, Spreadsheet and Presentations at U$10 each - files compatible with Office ).

It isn't a lap top (as in the lap top on your desk docked to a keyboard and screen) replacement. But I'd give it a go for when I travel. A lot is going to depend on how the keyboard actually works.

WebGenii
StarLounger

Post by WebGenii »

I'm feeling kind of grumpy with my new iPhone this week.
Its turning out that the email app is kinda neurotic. If it has trouble connecting with the sending/receiving mail servers (sending seems to be the main problem). It has a breakdown and crashes repeatedly.

The solutions are apparently (delete and reinstall the mail account - but this doesn't always solve the problem).
Restore the entire phone (I've got a 32G and this takes FOREVER). Not to mention, not useful in the middle of the working day, when the synchronizing computer is back in a different town.
Get GMail.

StoneChucker
StarLounger

Post by StoneChucker »

WebGenii wrote:I'm feeling kind of grumpy with my new iPhone this week.
Its turning out that the email app is kinda neurotic. If it has trouble connecting with the sending/receiving mail servers (sending seems to be the main problem). It has a breakdown and crashes repeatedly.

The solutions are apparently (delete and reinstall the mail account - but this doesn't always solve the problem).
Restore the entire phone (I've got a 32G and this takes FOREVER). Not to mention, not useful in the middle of the working day, when the synchronizing computer is back in a different town.
Get GMail.
I love my Android phone for this. The Google suite is available for calendar, email, and contacts....all without syncing to my PC. However one set back I found this week, a firmware update kills all that info until the wireless provider rediscovers the unit on the network.

Otherwise though. I love my htc Dream.

Christopher

BigMac
NewLounger

Post by BigMac »

It's a cool looking device, and I'm sure will sell like hotcakes. But, the lack of multitasking would be a deal-killer for me.

Adam Frucci at Gizmodo said "No Thanks":
8 Things That Suck About the iPad
A lot of people at Gizmodo are psyched about the iPad. Not me! My god, am I underwhelmed by it. It has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make buying one the last thing I would want to do.
http://gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-tha ... t-the-ipad
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

The iPad does appear to be to be a good piece of kit, but after the initial wow factor my opinion has changed. It appears that Apple went for an enhanced iPod, this will probably fit in with their marketing strategy, especially if they target those who are used to the iPod/iPhone. Personally I think it would have been better to make a tablet version of the iMac, though since that has nowhere near the userbase of the iPod/iPhone, it may be less commercially viable.

As a die-hard Windows user I will wait for Windows 7 based tablet PCs to be launched to see if they will replace my ageing laptop.
Tony

mwolfman
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Post by mwolfman »

I think I'm going to wait for Gen 2. This ipad does not have a usb or sdcard port. (You can buy adapters for them) I think after this one and people complain enough, they'll include it in the 2nd generation.
Mike Wolfman

--To err is human; to really screw up requires root

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

TonyE wrote:The iPad does appear to be to be a good piece of kit, but after the initial wow factor my opinion has changed. It appears that Apple went for an enhanced iPod, this will probably fit in with their marketing strategy, especially if they target those who are used to the iPod/iPhone. Personally I think it would have been better to make a tablet version of the iMac, though since that has nowhere near the userbase of the iPod/iPhone, it may be less commercially viable.

As a die-hard Windows user I will wait for Windows 7 based tablet PCs to be launched to see if they will replace my ageing laptop.
It's the new, latest iho-hum. :yawn:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

WyllyWylly
NewLounger

Post by WyllyWylly »

Can someone please explain to me, in a way that is compelling, why this device matters at all?

No multitasking.
No USB or Firewire ports.
Limited storage space.
No physical keyboard or stylus for input.

Even the name is trademarked by SMTechnologies in Europe, and I believe Fujitsu has applied for the trademark state-side. Both companies are already selling products with that moniker.

And what does it do that netbooks costing half as much can accomplish? What exactly is it intended to replace? I just can't see any use for it whatsoever. Nice drawing application, but you have to use your fingers. Most artists I know stopped fingerpainting around first grade. I see this as a bald-faced attempt to milk the iTunes revenue model by selling another piece of hardware - and this time, it's a piece of hardware that won't fit in your pocket.

verlobte
NewLounger

Post by verlobte »

...but then again, the reason I bought my first iPod was that it was significantly cheaper & more hassle-free than getting a CD changer for the car.

Congrats on expanding into yet another generation, Mark.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge, verlobte! (Familiar user picture :grin:)
Best wishes,
Hans

WyllyWylly
NewLounger

Post by WyllyWylly »

Expanding into another generation? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The iPad is pretty limited in its current state. I suspect Apple is laying the foundation for something bigger. The market will issue its own judgment in the future and I'm curious to see what that will be.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

WyllyWylly wrote:Expanding into another generation? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
:whisper: Maybe something to do with the little bundle in your arms? :smile:
Leif