Upgrading to iOS 7

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Upgrading to iOS 7

Post by Bowlie »

Has anyone done it yet? Any issues (other than the overloaded Apple Servers the first 48 hours). The only issue I've seen so far is those people (of challenged intelligence) who went to bed before their update completed, and their alarm didn't go off in the morning.

I'm going to wait a few days before I update my devices, but would be interested in hearing experiences of others.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Upgrading to iOS 7

Post by Rudi »

Yep...did my iPad (A1430) this morning and my iPhone 4S this evening.

I downloaded the firmware and then did my upgrade through iTunes pointing it to the ipsw file. Its faster like this and besides, I don't like doing it OTA.
Both devices upgraded without a glitch.
Both devices functioning 100% :) :) (as far as I can tell with the few hours of usage...so far!)

The OS is great...The interface and icons are flat (no 3D look) and a number of mottled white/grey panels with pastel colour switches. Why does it seem all the new appls are going this retro flat 2 dimensional route... (for touch pads??)

Anyways... I am happy...and the new functions and features are great....(like new toys to play with..)

Cheers!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Chose a quiet Sunday afternoon to update my iPad. No issues at all with the update which I did via iTunes rather than OTA. The new look will take some getting used to, but nothing I hate, so far.

Next - Mrs Bowlies iPhone and then her dad's iPad.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

A day or two into the new iOS and all is still well. Played around with the carema, adjusted various settings based on improved or extra functionality, changed my backgrounds and using the new dynamic BG for the lock screen...very liquidy :)...
The two features I had to really get used to was the new look Safari, its icons and whiter interface, as well as the Photos app that is now storing the images in categories etc...

All in all, I'm happy with it...
Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Would you gentlemen be so kind as to inform this old Luddite what you are referring to when you say that you used iTunes instead of OTA? Reading between the lines I infer that there is a function in iTunes on the iPad that allows one to download the the new OS and install at leisure instead of doing it in real time whilst connected to the Apple servers.

:thankyou: in advance :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

Your assumptions are half right... :smile:
iTunes does not have a function to download the OS. Instead, you need to download it from a website. There are a number of sites available, but the most important thing is that you download the correct .ipsw file for your model of iPad/iPhone. Some sites just list the downloads with a code (like this site: Redmaond Pie), but to be sure that I downloaded the right file, I found this site, that clearly tells me the model and code too: Download the iOS 7. The bolded number in brackets is the model number on the back of your device.

Once you have downloaded the correct .ipsw file, you would open up iTunes and plug your device into the PC. Cancel any possible message that pops up telling you there is a new OS available and if you want to upgrade. (See image 1)
Then hold down SHIFT and click the update button (on PC) or ALT (or Options) button (on MAC) and click Update. (see image 2). This will allow you to browse for the .ipsw file you already downloaded. Choose the .ipsw file, click OK, and the whole upgrade process begins (offline). Very simple, and safer to do (esp. if you have a volatile internet connection!)

See this webpage for similar instructions: How To Update Your iPad ‘Offline’
SP1-Mon,23-9.jpg
SP2-Mon,23-9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Rudi!

I'll give this a go today!

And, yes, most of my assumptions are half ***** :evilgrin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Upgrading to iOS 7 - SUCCESS on iPhone

Post by BobH »

That worked like a charm, Rudi!

Thank you again for coaching me through it.

I'm stuck in past with my iPad. It is a Gen1 product and I don't believe that I'll ever get past iOS5 with it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

glad to see you have succeeded with the upgrade. Any upgrade is nice (even if it is from iOS4 to iOS5); as it presents some new features and better functionality. It makes your device feel like a new toy :grin:

Enjoy!
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy Rudi!

Is the iOS 7.0.2 downloaded and installed in the same way? I realize that the release is pretty new. I didn't find it on the danwantstech.com site. The Redmundpie.com link redirected me to an apple server. I can download it in iTunes just as easily can't I?

:thankyou: in advance! :chocciebar: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:I can download it in iTunes just as easily can't I?
Hi Bob, what you doing up so late...its early morning where you are currently! :smile:

Yes, you can use iTunes.
Once you have plugged your device into iTunes and you click on the update button, it will prompt if you want to download and install, or just download. Either option is fine as it downloads the iOS update to your PC. The former simple installs it automatically for you after it has downloaded to your PC.

If you choose to ONLY download, you can upgrade at any time using the advice from the previous post higher up in the thread: Using SHIFT and click on Update button to browse for the .ipsw file. The file typically downloads to this folder:
C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME HERE>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates.
The folder might be hidden, so use windows settings to show hidden folders, or just copy the path and paste into the RUN dialog and choose OK.

I have done the update 2 days ago (via iTunes) and all went smooth as silk!
Regards,
Rudi

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Rudi,

Realise that your iTunes resides on a PC rather than a Mac, but I'm intrigued why you seem to prefer downloading from a non-Apple site and then updating. As you explained to Bob it is very easy to download and install from Apple either via your PC (iTunes) or Over The Air when connected via WiFi.

Bob --> Settings --> General --> Software update on the iPad.

The only reason I usually go via iTunes is that it does a full backup to my Computer first.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Morning, Rudi!

Had a little day surgery on my sinuses today (TMI, I know) to try and recover my sense of smell, remove polyps and correct some abnormal structure. It was all done with endoscopy and CT scan pictures and remote scalpels and lasers. No external incisions. That has me up for meds and wound dressings and what not. Not to worry. All is well. I had one of the best young doctors in the world at a national top 10 hospital. Recovery will take at least 6 weeks with full recovery taking maybe the next year.

Being a sometimes home cook - especially smoked foods - not being able to smell is a real handicap. My BIL tell me that I can STINK real well . . . doesn't understand why I want to smell it. :laugh:

Before starting the reply, I opened iPhone on the PC and started the download for iOS 7.0.2 from Apple. I guess I will apply it tomorrow, after a backup.

Thanks for the information!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Bowlie wrote:I'm intrigued why you seem to prefer downloading from a non-Apple site and then updating.
Hi Bowlie,

I absolutely agree with your observation, and I must confess that some of my advice above was tainted by two variables limited me to using Apple sites:
1. The fact that I wrote the reply with tunnel vision to my current circumstance - that a firewall prevented me from getting to Apples download site
2. That (if you don't have access to Apple site), the pages I mentioned above provide details on which .ipsw file belongs to which device

So let me rephrase by saying: If you do not want to do OTA upgrades due to weak WiFi or other circumstance, FIRSTLY use iTunes to download the iOS or alternatively, download it from Apple.

On the sideline :grin:
Another good site found here: ipswDownloader

Cheers Bowlie
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:Had a little day surgery on my sinuses today (TMI, I know) to try and recover my sense of smell, remove polyps and correct some abnormal structure. It was all done with endoscopy and CT scan pictures and remote scalpels and lasers. No external incisions. That has me up for meds and wound dressings and what not. Not to worry. All is well. I had one of the best young doctors in the world at a national top 10 hospital. Recovery will take at least 6 weeks with full recovery taking maybe the next year.
The way you described it sounds painful... :ouch:
How you recover speedily and that your sense of smell is restored for those future cooking spree's... :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Rudi,
Thanks for the explanation.

Bob - you don't have to do a manual back-up first. Part of the update process is to do a back up. This applies to OTA as well, but your backup goes to the cloud (which I don't use) if you've chosen to use the cloud, rather than your PC.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you both, Bowlie and Rudi.

Bowlie, in answer to your question about why I preferred the process of downloading the ipsw for my iPhone, it's because using the Apple site - from my iPhone - takes an eternity. At least with the PC with its computing capacity, it takes only slightly less than an eternity and I can decide when to update the iPhone.

Being an old mainframe person and something of a Unix command line person then a DOS command line person, I prefer more control and transparency of all processes than Apple seem to provide. For instance, iTunes does not make available a simple upload-from-iPhone process that allows one to choose the files and their destinations. Further, the Sync options for the iPhone device give cryptic messages about loss of data but don't really explain whether that data will be lost on the PC or the iPhone. I could not find a simple upload this to this process, if it exists, nor easily found and cogent Help..

Here is an example. I wanted to upload a short video from my iPhone to the PC and place it in my videos subdirectory. The Windows wizard (or one supplied by one of my app providers, I didn't check to see whose wizard it was) said that it would upload photos and videos but if it uploaded videos from the iPhone it didn't place them in the correct subdirectory and I cannot find them anywhere on the PC. So, I turned to iTunes on the PC to accomplish this. The first and most visible option was Sync, but it apparently wants to sync everything on both devices with that cryptic message with no meaningful information nor easily found Help. After some looking around, I found that after selecting the iPhone from the left column in iTunes there appears a Photos menu option across the top of the screen. Clicking that provides yet another Sync option with a button that must be checked to include videos and again, ALL PHOTOS. At least the cryptic warning is missing and the once checked reveals a radio button preselect that reveals how many photos were found on the iPhone but no mention of how many videos. (I tried the option after writing this post and the cryptic "are you sure" message appeared and I abandoned the attempt.) There is no freedom to select only the function that one wants. It seems to be an interface (pardon me here, the coming comment is not aimed at you two) designed only for idiots who know nothing about controlling computer processes to use. I have not exercised this option yet as I'm uncertain of the outcome. I HAVE posted on the Apple forums but have not response after several days - probably because I voiced some of the same criticisms of Apple in my query.

I guess I am profoundly biased about the Apple premise and products. They are over priced, in many cases badly designed and poorly implemented, in my opinion. Yes, they have been an innovator in some product areas (iPods, iPads, iPhones) and profited greatly by capturing those markets; however there is nothing profoundly unique about them except that their designers and promoters had the audacity to take a bite from their logo - and to me that is a profound insult saying that we have sold you a product from which we got the first bite and withheld from you while overcharging you for it.

Yes, I have an iPhone and an iPad. Both were given to my by my daughter. I would not have purchased either. I use the iPhone but I could have gotten along quite beautifully with any of many others. I hardly ever use the iPad because it has no keyboard and I find the touchscreen interface noisome. I hold their application development model in high regard and wish that it were embraced by others, but I find very little else to admire in their business paradigm. I hold their upgrade process in low regard, finding it much more bothersome than the post Win7 counterpart.

I hope that explains my recalcitrance, a bit, Bowlie. I consider myself computer literate and used to be something of a geek (now a very senior one, no doubt); and it is embarrassing to have to come here to seek advice on managing Apple products. I guess I'm not their target market.

Again, many thanks for the help. I've admitted my ignorance of all things Apple probably caused by my revulsion of their business model and the persona of their deceased maven. I admire his genius but not his over-controlling limitations and price point driven decisions on his products. Perhaps, now he's gone, Apple will change . . . but I doubt it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Thanks for the explanation Bob, makes sense to me. I'm surprised though, that you find Apple's servers to be slow, outside of the 48 hours after a major release. For the 7.0/7.01 update something like 200m devices were updated that first week. Painfully slow the first couple of days, but now seems to be OK.

Apple's Support Forums users are normal blokes like you and me. They don't work for Apple and I have never seen anybody from Apple there. However they probably aren't that knowledgeable about using iOS devices on non-apple platforms. Some will, but probably not the majority. So a reply could be a couple of days coming. While they too can be Apple's biggest critics, many may not share your view.

I'm expecting another update from Apple, to fix an iMessage problem affecting a few users. Will likely be a small patch like 7.02.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hi Bowlie!

I'm not certain that the speed problem is Apple's at all. It might be the fact that I have a 4S GMS version of the iPhone.

Having been operantly conditioned by Microsoft about staying current, I've probably chased an upgrade foolishly and needlessly. I'm seriously considering going back to the previous iOS. I've not found anything yet in the new one that I've used that I didn't have before and I find the user interface very poor, hard to perceive.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Don't like the new font? From the NYT (subscription)
Making iOS 7 More Readable

Q. I generally like iOS 7 on my iPhone, but I find the default system type a little too thin and hard to read, especially on certain backgrounds. Is there a way to change to another font?

A. Apple has included an option for a bolder version of the iOS 7 system font used to display text, menu settings and labels on the iPhone, as well as on iPads and iPod Touch media players. To switch to the bolder look, tap the Settings icon on the Home screen and then on the Settings screen, tap General.

On the General screen, tap Accessibility. In the Vision section of the settings here, tap the button next to Bold Text to turn on the feature and get a thicker look to the system font. The iPhone reboots itself if you decide to make this change.

The Accessibility settings also include a Larger Dynamic Type option that works with Apple’s own apps like Mail and Notes. When you turn it on, you can drag a slider on the screen to select a more comfortable reading size for apps that take advantage of the Dynamic Type technology.

The iOS 7 software has other built-in tools designed to aid users with more serious vision impairments. These include settings for increasing the contrast for better legibility and a screen-magnifier function called Zoom. You can find more information on these features for iOS at http://www.apple.com/accessibility/ios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ...