Upgrading to iOS 6

BobH
UraniumLounger

Upgrading to iOS 6

Post by BobH »

I know that we are not an Apple group, as a rule; so I'm posting this question in Scuttlebutt.

I was able to update iPhones for both the wife and it to iOS6; however, I'm having trouble updating the iPads. First, when I tried to invoke the upgrade from the Settings | General | Software Update process, the device said that it was already on the most current version, iOS5.1.1. Of course, this cannot be. After trying that several times, I did a hard reset on the device, then updated all of the apps I have on the device. When I tried to invoke the OS upgrade this time, I got an error message saying that the device had an error.

Next I tried to connect the iPad to the PC and used iTunes to try to update it. Again, I got a message saying that the OS was current at level 5.1.1.

Is anyone else experiencing similar difficulties with iOS6 upgrades? I'm at a loss to explain why the iPhones upgraded without problems but the iPads are being recalcitrant.
Last edited by HansV on 25 Sep 2012, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to make the subject more descriptive, at Bowlie's suggestion
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Apple Question

Post by StuartR »

A quick browse of the web suggests that the IOS 6 update is not available for the original iPAD, but only for the iPAD 2 and later. What hardware are you trying to upgrade?
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from the Scuttlebutt forum to Other Operating Systems (OS X, Linux) forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

The latest (and likely last) version of iOS for the first iPad is 5.1.1. Normally you would expect an update only for security reasons, not to add features.

The iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5; iPod Touch (4th & 5th generation); iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation) can all be upgraded to iOS 6, but not all features will work on all these devices. From Apple's website
Turn-by-turn navigation is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability.
Flyover is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation).
Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access.
FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability.
Offline Reading List is available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S or iPhone 5.
Panorama is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation).
And even if you have the latest device all features are not available in all countries. See http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for details. This applies to residents of those countries/territories and travellers to there.

Clear? As mud!

Edited to add: Hans, can I suggest a title change? Something like "Upgrading to iOS 6", might help others.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Upgrading to iOS 6

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the suggestion, Bowlie. I edited the subject in the first post in this thread.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Upgrading to iOS 6

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bowlie!

In the past, whenever a new iOS release became available, it was available for all my devices. This time it didn't check to see if my original iPad was in the list and just made a bad assumption.

Sorry to have wasted the bandwidth, for everyone.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016