Can't register Skype4com.dll

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Can't register Skype4com.dll

Post by Peter Kinross »

I have been using Skype to send SMS messages for a few weeks. Apart from the cost ($0.23 permessage) this has been great. Skype offered an update last week and I updated. This update removed the Skype4Com.dll and its containing folder. True!
I copied the dll back, but now it didn't register. Just in case the old non-existing dll was still registered and this was messing things up, I then unregistered it. This didn't work either. The line I am using to register it is:
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 C:\Program Files\Common Files\Skype\Skype4COM.dll
The error message I get is:
"The module "C:\program" failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files
The specified module could not be found."
HELP!
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't register Skype4com.dll

Post by HansV »

Since the path contains spaces, you have to enclose it in quotes:

c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Skype\Skype4COM.dll"
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Hans. I had tried that before, after looking on the web, but it still didn't register. Is there no bound to the depths of your knowledge?
This all came about when the Skype stuff in one Access Db wouldn't work. So I unticked the ref in Access and the ref disapearred. That's when I put the Skype4Com.dll back where it should have been and then tried to re-register it. But all the ways I tried wouldn't work. However, after rebooting and re-opning the Db, the ref was there and ticked. So I guess it must have remained registered even when the .dll had gone AWOL. And maybe the fact that it was registered prevented it being registered again?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What was the error message when you tried it with quotes around the full path?

It should be possible to re-register a DLL that is already registered. The effect will be nil, but it won't hurt and it shouldn't cause an error message...
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

The same error message every time. Just tried it again - same error message, except this time it includes the path & the dll - "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Skype\Skype4COM.dll" failed to load, instead of just "C:\program" failed to load.
I just thought of something else. The dll copy I reverted to just before the Db worked again, is one from the beginning of June from a continuous backup. Whereas the dll I was trying before was one copied from the web. They both had the same name & file size, but neither one registered.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Mysterious...
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Have you tried a "System Restore", or, right-click on the shortcut off the All Programs menu and try "restore previous version" ?
Cheers, Claude.