Find Windows Desktop Background

Claude
cheese lizard

Find Windows Desktop Background

Post by Claude »

As most of you would know, Windows 7 lets you change the desktop background from the predefined themes or from your own photo library at random selections.

The problem is, there's no way provided by Windows to let you find out the name/location of the current background picture. We've (here at Claude's madhouse) got some 850,000 photos dating back to 1998, which is when I got my first digital camera, and quite often, the randomly selected pictures intrigued me, trying to figure out where and when it was taken.

So, I wrote this little vbs script, assigned it to the right-click context menu and now I can find any photo of interest very easily :smile:

There is no documentation in the supplied file, so here goes:

FindDekstopBackgroundPicture.reg set up the right-click menu.
undoFindDekstopBackgroundPicture.reg removes the menu

FindDekstopBackgroundPicture.vbs needs to be copied into the windows folder, normally c:\windows.

You can create a shortcut to the vbs file and assign a keystroke to the shortcut so you don't need to rightclick....

The vbs will open the folder containing the picture and select it.

There is no error checking in that one-line script file and it, AFAIK, only works in Windows 7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Claude.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Re: Find Windows Desktop Background

Post by tedshemyers »

Claude, Great script. I posted a link to this thread in the other Lounge as this question was asked and never really got a good answer. I downloaded the script to my Downloads folder, then copied the resulting script to my desktop. Now it's a 2 click operation to find the exact location. Thanks again.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

konmaan
NewLounger

Post by konmaan »

Just wanted to say thanks for this script.
I have over 100,000 photos and this is just what I was looking for.
After merging your reg-fix,
My system said cannot find " WPTargetDir.vbs " so I just renamed the "FindDesktopBackgroundPicture.vbs"
to what it was looking for " WPTargetDir.vbs " Works Great Thanks Again !

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

You're welcome, and, welcome to Eileen's Lounge !
Cheers, Claude.