Screensaver wont work

johbot
2StarLounger

Screensaver wont work

Post by johbot »

Hi,

My screensaver won't work. There was a suggestion- elsewhere- that it may have been a problem with the mouse. I have upgraded to the most recent drivers for the mouse, but it has made no difference to my screensaver. Any suggestions?

Also, while on screensavers ... I like to use My Photos as the screensaver. In XP I could shoose which directory I wanted to use and include all sub folders. That 'include all subfolders' option appears to be there no longer. Is that the case? How can I get all the subfolders to show - assuming I can also get my screensaver to actually work in the first place.

Johanna

HansV
Administrator

Re: Screensaver wont work

Post by HansV »

Do you have a wireless keyboard/mouse? If so, can you switch temporarily to a wired keyboard and mouse to see if it makes a difference?

A short test indicates that Windows 7 will automatically include subfolders of the folder specified for the Photos screensaver.
Best wishes,
Hans

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Hi Hans,

I forgot to mention that I had tried that. I'm on a laptop with a wireless mouse. I tried a wired mouse and that made no difference.

Thanks for the info about the subfolders.

Johanna

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you have any desktop gadgets such as a radio or weather gadget?
Best wishes,
Hans

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Yes, But only the clock and the calendar. Nothing that constantly updates .

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

What happens if you try some other "standard" screensavers provided with Win 7?

I can't duplicate your problem with any of the usual Windows screensavers. I have a cordless Logitech optical mouse and it (and its drivers) don't interfere with the screensaver.

I wonder if it could be some other app getting in the way.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

One last suggestion: are you using an AeroGlass theme? If not, try it. I don't have the slightest idea why, but there are reports in other discussion forums that this sometimes helps.
Best wishes,
Hans

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Thanks, I will try both suggestions (one at a time of course) and get back to you later today. It's time to do some real work ...

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Can you hear the gnashing of teeth?

I have been poking and prodding at this problem for a month now and got nowhere. I had tried many things over the weeks so I don't know how it is different this time.

I changed the screensaver to a different one and it worked. First time!

So I set an AeroGlass theme and the screensaver worked. I put it back to my photos. And it worked!!

Thanks guys.

Johanna

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sometimes you just have to try things, without really knowing why...
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:Sometimes you just have to try things, without really knowing why...
Over here I call it rain dancing... :groovin: :snow: :hmmn: :laugh:

(In a case like this it's always good to test with the basic settings, the default settings; and as it seems, changing back and forth fixed it, at least for now.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Argus wrote:Over here I call it rain dancing...
That's a good one, Argus! My choice of terms for digging out problems on the computer is "whacking the :censored: thing with a big stick!"

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Bigaldoc wrote:...My choice of terms for digging out problems on the computer is "whacking the :censored: thing with a big stick!"
Many years ago I was a hardware engineer, responsible for repairing quite large mini-computers. (Think of sizes from a fridge to a walk in freezer).

The tool kit they gave me included a hammer that I had never used, until one day when I couldn't free the jammed hub brake on a reel to reel tape drive. I climbed into the back of the tape drive cabinet and went for the brakes with the hammer, this not only freed up the brake but it also made my week, the customer's face when they heard the noises I was making inside their computer was a delight.

This was the one and only time I used that hammer.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Another Hammer Horror...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:[...] The tool kit they gave me included a hammer that I had never used, until one day when I couldn't free the jammed hub brake on a reel to reel tape drive. I climbed into the back of the tape drive cabinet and went for the brakes with the hammer [...]
You have been on the inside of a computer, and with a hammer? Wow. Now I don't know if I should ask how old you are or how tall you are. :laugh: :sorry:

Well, at some point in time I guess people walked into the computer, but still. That's an experience to mention; using a hammer. Yes, I would have loved to see the customer's face.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus wrote:
StuartR wrote:[...] The tool kit they gave me included a hammer that I had never used, until one day when I couldn't free the jammed hub brake on a reel to reel tape drive. I climbed into the back of the tape drive cabinet and went for the brakes with the hammer [...]
You have been on the inside of a computer, and with a hammer? Wow. Now I don't know if I should ask how old you are or how tall you are. :laugh: :sorry:

Well, at some point in time I guess people walked into the computer, but still. That's an experience to mention; using a hammer. Yes, I would have loved to see the customer's face.
Hit it with a bigger hammer was another old standby saying!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:Well, at some point in time I guess people walked into the computer,
1973. CDC Cyber 72. We used to give guided tours through the computer centre, and we would peel back the skin, swing open the heavy doors, and walk 'em through - while the Cyber continued to function normally. Sigh!
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Bigaldoc wrote:
Argus wrote:Over here I call it rain dancing...
That's a good one, Argus! My choice of terms for digging out problems on the computer is "whacking the :censored: thing with a big stick!"
Hey Fonzie!