File notes

emiliaserv
NewLounger

Re: File notes

Post by emiliaserv »

Dave, for some reason I can't open the attachment at the moment, keep getting a "loading" message but nothing seems to be happening. However I believe you posted the properties of a .jpg whilst we are currently talking about a .txt file.

Graham

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

emiliaserv,
There is NO comment on a TXT file properties.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Mea culpa! Mea culpa!

My ramblings above were made while on my XP computer. I tried the same on a laptop with Win 7 and - lo and behold! - Microsoft has removed that functionality for text and RTF files. My test file does show two streams attached under Win 7 (using STREAMS.EXE, a Sysinternals/MS tool to view streams attached to files, available at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb897440) . Properties, tool tips, etc. on Win 7 faithfully follow the MS party line and ignore the existence of the streams. Pull the file back to XP and the comments, title, etc. are still there.

My apologies for misleading Win 7 users. :bash:

Question for the student: If MS keeps decreasing functionality in each new OS release, what will be the release number when MS reduces functionality to zero? Estimate the cost for the new OS from the earlier proven MS cost equation of Cost = 1 / Functionality. Complex solutions are acceptable as most of the benefits MS claims for each new OS are imaginary.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Ever since this question was asked I have been trying to find an answer.

It seems that the properties comments was a shell enhancement which was removed in Windows Vista & not restored in Windows 7.

I feel sure that someone will make a little programme to add these functions again, so I'll keep searching & report back if I find anything.
Regards
wasbit

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hello all,

I am now seeing the editable Comments field under the Details tab of the properties window for Word documents and JPEGs. I can add text to these fileds whether I do it from Windows Explorer or from the Word open dialogue.

I can’t find any editable regions for PDFs, plain text files, or for folders. PJ_in_FL: I tried following your advice to emiliaserv in Post= 43233, but I have no summary tab for text files, PDFs, or folders. Is there a way to add comments to these files?
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Some files types were not designed to be edited or changed, this includes PDF as they are "Protected" some what in most cases,
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living