File notes

jmt356
SilverLounger

File notes

Post by jmt356 »

Sometimes, when saving a different version of a document, pdf, image, or other file, I like to include in the name some file attributes that distinguish it from other versions (e.g., "Image 1 (300 dpi)"; "Image 2 (72 dpi)"). Sometimes, however, as differences between versions become detailed and minute, including all of these indications in the file name becomes impracal. Is there a place in the file's properties where I can include notes on the file such that they can be viewed when going into the file's documents but will not be visible on the screen when opening the document, pdf, image, or other file?
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Re: File notes

Post by Leif »

If you right-click on a file and select 'Properties', you can generally add comments under the 'Summary' tab.
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I tried opening the properties for a Word document, a folder, a pdf, and an image and in none of these cases was a summary tab available. This was true whether I was viewing a file from Windows Explorer or from within the MS Word open dialogue. I’m running Windows 7.

The Properties window of an image I opened from Windows Explorer had the following tabs:
General | Security | Details | Previous Versions

The Properties window of a folder I opened from Windows Explorer had the following tabs:
General | Sharing | Security | Previous Versions

The Properties window of a document I opened from Windows Explorer had the following tabs:
General | Security | Custom | Details | Previous Versions

The Properties window of a pdf I opened from Windows Explorer had the following tabs:
General | Security | Details | Previous Versions
Regards,

JMT

emiliaserv
NewLounger

Post by emiliaserv »

I just did a quick test with a .docx document.

Right click the file icon, click Properties, go to the Details tab and write what you want under Comments, OK and exit.

Does this work for you?

Graham

PS
Also works with .jpg although you have to click the comments box before it opens and lets you type something

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am using Office 2003. Under Properties | Details for Word documents, there is no comments field or any other editable fields. The fields showing are Name, Type, Path, Size, Date created, Date modified, Attributes, Owner, and Company.

Also, for folders, there is no Details tab under Properties.

I am surprized I cannot find this. I thought I remembered seeing this version in the past. Perhaps it was offered in Windows Explorer in older versions of Windows (I'm using Windows 7)?
Regards,

JMT

emiliaserv
NewLounger

Post by emiliaserv »

I'm using Win 7 as well, in case it's not clear, what I am saying is to right click on the icon of the file in question, can't comment on Word 2003 (.doc) but I don't think you should have any trouble with a .jpg file. As for the .pdf, unless things have changed you can't edit them with just plain Reader so no surprise there. Indeed I couldn't see a comments box anywhere.

Graham

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

jmt356 wrote:I am using Office 2003. Under Properties | Details for Word documents, there is no comments field or any other editable fields. The fields showing are Name, Type, Path, Size, Date created, Date modified, Attributes, Owner, and Company.
From the Explorer window, right-click on the file and choose Properties from the context menu presented. I confirmed on a .DOC file (last modified in 2002 so I'm sure it was created prior to Office 2007) the Properties dialog contains the tabs General, Custom, and Summary. The Summary tab contains the Comments field.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

PJ_in_FL wrote:...
From the Explorer window, right-click on the file and choose Properties from the context menu presented. I confirmed on a .DOC file (last modified in 2002 so I'm sure it was created prior to Office 2007) the Properties dialog contains the tabs General, Custom, and Summary. The Summary tab contains the Comments field.
This only applies to Microsoft Office files, if you do the same with a .TXT file or a .JPG file then you won't find a summary tab or comments field.
StuartR

emiliaserv
NewLounger

Post by emiliaserv »

This only applies to Microsoft Office files, if you do the same with a .TXT file or a .JPG file then you won't find a summary tab or comments field.
Not so in the case of .jpg as I already explained.

1. Right click .jpg icon
2. Click Properties
3. Select Details
4. Comments appears under Description, click on the box to the right and enter what you want.

Graham

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

When I try it I get a error message, see attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

StuartR wrote:This only applies to Microsoft Office files, if you do the same with a .TXT file or a .JPG file then you won't find a summary tab or comments field.
I can apply comments to any file on NTFS volumes. Not so on FAT volumes as that file structure doesn't support multiple streams.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

One caveat, I can't copy multiple streams from an NTFS-formatted device to a FAT-formatted device. Most optical and USB Flash devices are FAT, so the streams are removed from any file that requires multiple streams to support non-standard properties. Office docs store them internally to the main file.

JPGs also keep properties information on FAT devices. I just copied one .JPG file with a test comment from an NTFS-formatted HDD to a FAT-formatted USB stick and the comment came with the JPG file. A .TXT file lost the comments.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
StuartR wrote:This only applies to Microsoft Office files, if you do the same with a .TXT file or a .JPG file then you won't find a summary tab or comments field.
I can apply comments to any file on NTFS volumes. Not so on FAT volumes as that file structure doesn't support multiple streams.
The error is happening on a NTFS drive, see attachment.

emiliaserv
NewLounger

Post by emiliaserv »

I just tested an mp3 file on an SD card (FAT), I don't see the Security or Previous Versions tabs, however I can enter a comment under Details and when this is transferred to my laptop HD the comments are retained.

Graham

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

DaveA wrote:The error is happening on a NTFS drive, see attachment.
Dave,

Have you tried changing any other properties of the file besides comment, e.g. renaming the file? Are there other programs running that may have the file open? Can you try setting comments on other files of different extensions?

Graham,

Can you also test a text file on the SD card to see if it can have comments? I suspect it cannot for the reasons I stated above.

The MP3 file you tested contains an internal file structure that includes many attributes, including comments. You can see the attributes in the Summary tab when you select the Advanced button. You should then have fields like Artist, Album Title, Genre, etc. displayed.

Files with simple internal structure can only save properties like comments in secondary streams, which are essentially another file linked to the original file. From MSDN:
Microsoft Windows NT File System (NTFS) secondary stream technology was developed to support the persistence of extra information with the file through an alternate stream set at the file system layer
You can even "hide" data inside a simple text file on NTFS by "echo"-ing text into a secondary stream of the file. You can only see it with the "more" command. Try these commands in a command prompt window on an NTFS volume to see the streams:

Code: Select all

echo Primary > test.txt
dir test.txt
type test.txt
echo Secondary > test.txt:hidden
type test.txt
more<test.txt
more<test.txt:hidden
dir text.txt
The size of the test.txt file should be the same before and after the secondary stream is added. Viewing the file in Notepad only shows the primary stream and modifying the file and saving it with Notepad only affects the primary stream. The secondary stream is still there, which you can check with the "more" command.

Sorry for the off-topic post. Just some ramblings over a Saturday morning cup of coffee.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Well, I did try again, this time I did NOT click apply, but clicked a different tab. The comment was saved, when I went back to details. Then OK'd my self out and reopened the properties, and the comment was still there.

emiliaserv
NewLounger

Post by emiliaserv »

Graham,
Can you also test a text file on the SD card to see if it can have comments? I suspect it cannot for the reasons I stated above.
Yes you are right, comments are not available even when the file is on my laptop HD, I just see extra tabs but unlike .jpg and .mp3 there is no way of entering a comment anywhere as far as I can see.

Graham

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

emiliaserv wrote:... comments are not available even when the file is on my laptop HD, I just see extra tabs but unlike .jpg and .mp3 there is no way of entering a comment anywhere as far as I can see.
First, I'm assuming (bad, bad word! :hushmouth: ) your laptop HDD is formatted as an NTFS volume. Right-click the drive icon and select Properties to see the file system information.

Second assumption - you were trying to change the properties of the text file in the Advanced form of the Summary tab for the text file.

If those assumptions are correct, then try to change the properties of the text file ... but only from the Simple form of the Summary tab. I believe you'll find editable fields in the Simple form but the fields in Advanced are not. Then hover over the file and the tool tip should show the comments, title, etc..

Another of many very strange quirks of Windows. :confused3: :scratch:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

emiliaserv
NewLounger

Post by emiliaserv »

Yes it's NTFS but no I am a little confused about "Summary". I see 4 tabs General (the only one with an Advanced box), Security, Details and Previous Versions, I was trying to change something under Details, apart from the fact that there is no Comments line, none of the items listed (fron Name to Computer) are editable.

Graham

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Does your properties pane look like the one I posted above, in post 43072?
And you are saying the "Comments" line is NOT there?