Windows 7 SP1 Announced

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Windows 7 SP1 Announced

Post by PaulB »

Microsoft today announced the roll-out dates for Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
Today we officially handed off the final release (RTM) of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) to our OEM partners. On February 16th Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 will be available for MSDN and TechNet Subscribers as well as Volume License customers. On February 22nd, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 will become generally available for folks to download via the Microsoft Download Center and available on Windows Update.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Re: Windows 7 SP1 Announced

Post by Gloria E »

PaulB wrote:Microsoft today announced the roll-out dates for Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
Today we officially handed off the final release (RTM) of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) to our OEM partners. On February 16th Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 will be available for MSDN and TechNet Subscribers as well as Volume License customers. On February 22nd, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 will become generally available for folks to download via the Microsoft Download Center and available on Windows Update.
Who'll be the first to install SP1? Let us know how it turns out, please.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Please note that SP1 will be released to MSDN/Technet subscribers next week, and to end users the week after that. That's still 11 days away!
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

How about that!!! I'll just have to ask my question again, won't I?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I installed Windows 7 SP1 today through Windows Update, Gloria. The download (87 MB for my fully patched Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) stalled a couple of times, no doubt because Microsoft's servers were overburdened so soon after the official release. After that, the installation procedure went smoothly, with one reboot.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See Windows 7 SP1 Disk Cleanup Tool - Windows 7 Forums for two methods to reclaim some disk space after SP-1 is installed.

NOTE: Microsoft recommends you do this only after running with SP-1 installed a few weeks.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

RUNNING THE SYSTEM UPDATE READINESS TOOL
You might wish to make a preliminary check that your installation of Windows 7 SP1 is likely to run problem-free by downloading and running the appropriate version of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7:
System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821)
System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 {32-bit}(KB947821)

DOWNLOADING SP1 FROM THE MICROSOFT DOWNLOAD CENTRE
There is some information on the Microsoft download website if you choose to obtain Windows 7 SP1 by this mechanism, rather than via the recommended method, Windows Update. Note that the prerequisite for the download is to run, and pass, the small utility GenuineCheck.exe's Genuine Validation Check.

7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD.iso [1953.3 MB]
This DVD image contains the standalone update for all architectures {and has to be burnt to a bootable DVD or USB Flash Drive of adequate capacity - JG}

windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe [903.2 MB]
This application installs SP1 to a 32-bit machine running Windows 7.

windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe [537.8 MB]
This application installs SP1 to a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

It's probably important to state that if you already have a fully-patched version of Windows 7, then installing SP1 will do almost nothing new to your PC.
You will just have the warm glow of being even more up-to-date than up-to-date!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Have updated 2 laptops, one with Win 7 HP and one with Win 7 Ultimate with nary a hitch. Running very well. Be advised this does NOT include IE 9. That will be a totally separate download when the IE 9 RTM is available. Some thing the SP1 will include IE 9, but that is just not true.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:I installed Windows 7 SP1 today through Windows Update, Gloria. The download (87 MB for my fully patched Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) stalled a couple of times, no doubt because Microsoft's servers were overburdened so soon after the official release. After that, the installation procedure went smoothly, with one reboot.
SP1 update.png
As you can see mine says 44 MB so wonder why the difference in size?

My guess is because it is 32 bit and not 64 so am d/l and installing now....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It says 44 MB - 533 MB. You'll only know how large the download actually is when you select it and continue.

The size varies because you may or may not have installed earlier updates.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:See Windows 7 SP1 Disk Cleanup Tool - Windows 7 Forums for two methods to reclaim some disk space after SP-1 is installed.

NOTE: Microsoft recommends you do this only after running with SP-1 installed a few weeks.

Joe
Your link, lead me to a tutorial, do you have something printable? I need to follow the directions, so it must be a hard copy & in black and white. I sure hope you do, Joe.

Gloria E

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I just installed and am back up and running. I looked at my update history and see it successfully installed, but don't see a final MB size. I have all important updates installed. I did notice CPU usage all over the place: 100% 68% 38% 16% back to 98% 100% but hopefully that will settle down.

Edit: I also note that I have 189 GB free out of 224Gb so am not going to worry about the clean-up tool. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it....." lol

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The dialog displayed the file size while the service pack was being downloaded - I noticed it because the download took a long time and stalled a couple of times.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

It took about 45 min from start of d/l to completion of installation with rebooting. Thankfully this is the only 7 machine I own :-)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Gloria E wrote: Your link, lead me to a tutorial, do you have something printable? I need to follow the directions, so it must be a hard copy & in black and white. I sure hope you do, Joe.
Just print the web page in b&w.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I just installed SP1 on my 64-bit quad-core 4 GB PC from the SP1 file previously downloaded to disk, and it took almost exactly 40 minutes from start to "Service Pack 1 is installed" after the single reboot. All pretty tedious.

I also ran the System Update Readiness Tool prior to this, which was very confusing because it installed, did lots of work for about ten minutes, then terminated. I couldn't find any trace of it in All Programs or in C:\Program Files, so I presume it did what it needed to and didn't find anything about which to comment. There wasn't anything worth looking at in C:\Windows\CheckSur or C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur either!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

John Gray wrote:I just installed SP1 on my 64-bit quad-core 4 GB PC from the SP1 file previously downloaded to disk, and it took almost exactly 40 minutes from start to "Service Pack 1 is installed" after the single reboot. All pretty tedious.
Tedious and uneventful is always better where a service pack is involved. :grin: :laugh:

Joe
Joe

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:The dialog displayed the file size while the service pack was being downloaded - I noticed it because the download took a long time and stalled a couple of times.
Now that you mention that, mine was 94 MB but it was combined with Silverlight update so I would say it was in the same general size category as you showed.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Hey Jude wrote:I just installed and am back up and running. I looked at my update history and see it successfully installed, but don't see a final MB size. I have all important updates installed. I did notice CPU usage all over the place: 100% 68% 38% 16% back to 98% 100% but hopefully that will settle down.

Edit: I also note that I have 189 GB free out of 224Gb so am not going to worry about the clean-up tool. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it....." lol
I believe the CPU usage is from rebuilding all the dynamic .NET components. It should settle down shortly.

I recommend you DO run the cleanup tool but only after you've run for a couple of weeks and are satisified that your system is stable. You might as well get rid of all the duplicate WinSXS stuff.

NOTE: Once you run the cleanup you will NOT be able to uninstall SP-1.

Joe
Joe

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Is there any reason to uninstall SP-1 seeing as I have all known updates installed now? I did some reading and you are correct about the .NET components. When I first open task manager now, it starts at 80% then immediately drops to 5 or 10 so it is much better than it was. So at this point I can uninstall it? Interesting. I just checked my Restore Points and see only one pertaining to Win 7 SP-1 showing so that took significant space. I shall keep the option open to run the cleanup tool then.