Windows7 64 Bit - RAM upgrade

aekyall
4StarLounger

Windows7 64 Bit - RAM upgrade

Post by aekyall »

Having followed the thread on getting best use out of 64 bit systems, it would seem that you need 4G of RAM as optimum. My system, AMD Athlon II x2 250 Processor Model 6 Stepping 2, currently has 2G. I went on to Crucial website and discovered that they recommend that best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules, rather than just adding an additional 2G - Therefore, my question is, Do you think it is worth the effort (and expense)?
If I upgrade to 4G will I really notice that much of an improvement? And, if I chose to buy a matched pair of RAM (at around S£59), how much difference would there likely to be over just buying a single, additional, 2G RAM (at around S£30). I'm just an average user, don't do programming or play on-line games etc, but would like to optimise my computer if practical - If I go for matched pairs, not only would it cost me dearly, but I'd also end up with a surplus 2G RAM module (currently in the computer!)

Would be interested to hear your thoughts (although I think I may just have talked myself out of it!!!! :grin: )
Thanks,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows7 64 Bit - RAM upgrade

Post by HansV »

I have a PC with 64-bits Windows 7. It frequently uses more than 2 GB of memory, and occasionally more than 3 GB, but I've never seen it exceed 4 GB yet.

So I would strongly recommend the upgrade to 4 GB, I do think you will notice the difference. Upgrading to 6 GB (by adding 2 x 2 GB) is not really necessary unless you want to use the extra memory for a virtual machine (for example Windows XP emulation).
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I agree with Hans.

You will see the benefit of 4GB of RAM if you run more than 1 program at a time. Even if you only run one program at a time you will get benefits if you do any photo, movie or audio editing, or you create very large spreadsheets etc.

Don't bother with a matched pair of new RAM modules. These may give a theoretical performance improvement but there will be no significant practical difference.(Even if someone identifies a program that would allow you to show this improvement, it won't help when you are just using the computer normally).
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Boringly, I agree with the above! In the same way that 768 MB (or even 1 GB) was a good RAM size for Windows XP Pro, then 4 GB seems to be a good size for Windows 7 64-bit. If you have Windows 7 32-bit, then you will probably be able to use only 3 ± ¼ GB, because of the address-space occupied by the graphics card, and maybe others.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks all for the sound advice. Taking in all you've said I will go ahead and upgrade my RAM from 2GB to 4GB, but will steer clear of investing in a matched pair (2 x 2GB) and just buy the one additional card.

Many Thanks,
Regards,
Keith

TexMex
NewLounger

Post by TexMex »

I also have 2 towers running Windows 7 64 Bit.
One has an AMD Processor and One has a Pentium 4--Both have 4GB Ram.
I too have never maxed out ram usage on either tower.
Also have a Pentium 4 with 32 Bit Windows 7 which does well--However for the 64 bit you do need 4 GB.
(I still have a Celeron powered laptop with 768 MB running XP Home with no complaints.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

aekyall wrote: ... need 4G of RAM as optimum.
Keith, thanks for this post & thread. I have been thinking that my little Compaq Presario CQ62 (2GB/2.2GHz) is sluggish compared to the old laptop (2GB, 2GHz), and wondering how much of that is perception ("I hate a new operating system") and how much is RAM. The CQ62 is an entry-level machine, so it's quite possible that I am under-RAMmed.

Of course, if, in a day or two, you report vast improvements with extra RAM I'll be upset, because that will start me down the path to upgrading something I probably shouldn't have bought in the first place (grin!)
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

You don't mention what type of memory sticks your machine accepts; DDR, DDR2 or DDR3. If it's DDR2, then matched pairs are recommended in order to take advantage of dual channeling. If your computer's motherboard supports triple channels, the memory should be installed in multiples of three sticks. You also don't mention how many memory slots you have and how many are populated. What is the maximum physical memory capacity for each slot? If you currently have one 2GB stick installed, I'd add one more to give you 4GB. If you now have 2 x 1GB sticks installed, and you want to optimize usage, I'd add 2 x 1GB sticks. However, if you are really not a power user then going with a single 2GB stick is probably the way to go. Just make sure all the installed sticks are compatible with each other.

Whatever you decide, you probably won't get through a game of Solitaire any faster! :innocent:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Sorry, should have said! RAM is DDR2 - And I have 2 x memory slots, one currently populated by a single 2GB DDR2: so I have one slot left to add an additional 1 x 2GB (4GB being the max for my system). Too late to take onboard your comments re matched pairs for DDR2 I'm afraid, as I've already ordered a single board from Crucial based on Lounge advice - Crucial scan of my system pointed me to a compatible DDR2 board. But, as you say, I doubt I'll finish a game of solitaire any quicker whatever the combination!!

I'm away for a few days now, but the RAM is on order and should be waiting for me when I get back. I'll report back on how slick (or not!) my computer is following the upgrade!!! :grin:
Regards,
Keith

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Given the specs for your system, I think you've come up with the best solution. :clapping:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

I'm away for a few days now, but the RAM is on order and should be waiting for me when I get back. I'll report back on how slick (or not!) my computer is following the upgrade!!! :grin:

Reporting back!

Crucial duly, and promptly, delivered the 2GB additional RAM through my letterbox whilst I was away. Fitted the board this morning (8th) so am now running with 4GB of RAM. From what I've experienced so far there does seem to be a marked improvement (could be wishful thinking, of course, but think not!) - specifically, things seem to be happening quite a lot quicker than previously - especially noticable when working with spreadsheets; the term 'more snappy' would best sum it up, if you know what I mean! Anyway, everything still works after my fingers have been into the depths of my computer (always a risky business for me!!), so I'm well pleased - and grateful for all the input gleaned here. If I get any more positive information on performance I'll post it, but for now I'm a 'happy chappie' :cheers: :thankyou:
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for posting back with the results!
Best wishes,
Hans

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Just to post on a similar note to add my experience with more Ram. My friend had a system that was loaded with XP OS and had way to much starting at start up, with many other problems, short story I had an unused copy of Vista HP which I installed in place of XP. She only had 1 GB Ram, and although ran OK, once all the junk was stopped so only necessary stuff loads at startup, another 1 GB Ram caused a marked increase in speed for everything. Since this was only a $42 USD investment from Crucial (DDR2) the cost to benefit ratio was fantastic. For my money increasing Ram is about the least expensive method to increase speed (I only wish her laptop would hold more than 2 GB, but that is maxed out.) One caveat, YMMV depending on type and speed of Ram used. :clapping:
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit