Kill-bit

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Kill-bit

Post by Gloria E »

Has anyone used Kill-bit to disable ActiveX? I've disabled it using the Internet Security Zone, so I wonder if using Kill-bit is a little over reacting or will it help protect my computer?

I value the opinons of people on this forum, so please don't hesitate to express yours.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Kill-bit

Post by JoeP »

If you've already disabled ActiveX then more is just overkill. The kill bit is for an individual version of an ActiveX control. So, disable ActiveX completely using killbits you'd have to set the killbit for all ActiveX controls in the registry.

See Killbit - Wikipedia & How to stop an ActiveX control from running in Internet Explorer for more information.

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Re: Kill-bit

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:If you've already disabled ActiveX then more is just overkill. The kill bit is for an individual version of an ActiveX control. So, disable ActiveX completely using killbits you'd have to set the killbit for all ActiveX controls in the registry.

See Killbit - Wikipedia & How to stop an ActiveX control from running in Internet Explorer for more information.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I previously read the article you supplied. I was still not sure of what I should do so I asked here on this forum. You people are so knowlegeable that I knew I could not go wrong by expressing my concern. Needless to say I will NOT be using Kill-bit to disable ActiveX.

Thanks again :thankyou:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!