Utility to display folder permissions

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Utility to display folder permissions

Post by John Gray »

I can't find any reference to this by Googling, but I'm hoping someone knows of a utility that could display the permissions to all the folders on the C: drive. All I can find so far is ICACLS (in \Windows\System32), whose function seems to be purely to modify permissions, not display them! Thanks!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Utility to display folder permissions

Post by Argus »

A quick search gives some different results. Some have used Powershell, it seemed; when doing other things. But one could use something like this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 76838.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found one quite expensive tool (keywords: folder permissions reporting, and guess what, there is a tool with that name): Folder Permissions Reporting (For NTFS) that seems to be very capable of generating different reports. However, have never heard of the company (but that doesn’t say much), so know nothing about it.

Then there was SomarSoft's DumpSec as freeware, but that one is for NT/XP/200x and I don't know how that it will work.

But if I have understood your question correctly, AccessEnum, by Bryce Cogswell (Windows Sysinternals) could perhaps be the best alternative. Have tried it a bit; small and simple, can save to .TXT, and compare.
There's no built-in way to quickly view user accesses to a tree of directories or keys. AccessEnum gives you a full view of your file system and Registry security settings in seconds, making it the ideal tool for helping you for security holes and lock down permissions where necessary.
And finally an old tip at WindowsITPro: http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/tip ... ders-.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thank you, Sir! Yes, the price of the "Folder Permissions Reporting" tool is in the Apple league. DumpSec hasn't been touched since 1998, so is unlikely to know much about Windows 7/NTFS 5. AccessEnum looks promising, and I'll have a try with it when I get home. CACLS "is deprecated - please use ICACLS".

On trying ICACLS folderpath (not an option in the help information!) it appears to list the permissions I want - so it was there all the time... Grrrrh.
Here's an example:

Code: Select all

d:\bat BUILTIN\Administrators:(F)
       BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(OI)(CI)(F)
       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(OI)(CI)(F)
       CREATOR OWNER:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
       BUILTIN\Users:(I)(OI)(CI)(RX)
       BUILTIN\Users:(I)(CI)(AD)
       BUILTIN\Users:(I)(CI)(WD)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
John Gray

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You're welcome. Mmm, I do like the tools from Windows Sysinternals, as I know you and many other Loungers do.

As for looking for help in help files:
Searchers' Laws
1. You can always find what you're not looking for.
2. If a lost thing is found, something else will disappear.
3. If you file it, you'll know where it is but never need it. If you don't file it, you'll need it but never know where it is.
4. The first place to look for anything is the last place you would expect to find it.
5. You will always find what you have lost in the last place you look for it.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Also...
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
John Gray