TIMEZONE of File date stamp after download

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

TIMEZONE of File date stamp after download

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Curiosity value only. Sadly no multi-million dollar deal hangs on this one.

What is the "Created" stamp of a downloaded file?

The attachment shows the right-click Properties of a file I d/l from this post about 5 minutes ago. I include the link in case you want to d/l and see what times you get in Ohio, Tuscon etc.
The Modified date shows as 18th January 5:10 p.m. which is about 5 minutes before I began typing this post.
So OK. The file was last modified on my hard drive on my desk 5 minutes ago (18 Jan 5:10 p.m here in Toronto, centre of the known universe) by virtue of the file being created as a result of me downloading it from EileensLounge.
That's OK by me.

The Creation date shows yesterday at 10 at night.
Now I am fairly certain that Andrew Gibson uploaded this file from London UK late yesterday, but what I don't know is whether the 10:19 p.m. represents Andy's time (5 hours ahead of me, so that would be 5:19 p.m. here in Toronto) or the time here in Toronto when he uploaded the file (which would mean that Andrew was hard at work on our behalf at around 3 in the morning in the UK).

That is, is the Creation time held as a form of universal time on EileensLounge and then adjusted for the time-zone of the person who downloads?

Or else: Is the Creation time (10:39 p.m.) the time local to the UK at which Andy used PKZip25 or its equivalent to build the zip file after which, perhaps, he took a 1-hour cocoa break before uploading the file?
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: TIMEZONE of File date stamp after download

Post by HansV »

When I download the zip file, either using IE 8 or FF 3.6.13, the Created and Modified date/time are identical, and both equal to the time I downloaded the file...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:When I download the zip file, either using IE 8 or FF 3.6.13, the Created and Modified date/time are identical, and both equal to the time I downloaded the file...
Hmmmm.
Thanks Hans.
I think.
I did d/l it last night, then overwrote it half an hour ago, so perhaps the Creation date is the date/time of my original download, local time.
As I mull I start thinking that it must be so, because Windows, no matter how smart it might want to be ought to concern itself only with the machine it is governing, that is, my Notebook here in Toronto.

However, when I look inside the zip file I see that the html is time-stamped 01/17/2011 at 10:26 pm which leads me back to supposing that at 10:26 pm in London UK yesterday, Andy saved his version 9 of the HTML file.
In which case it was almost 5 hours later (I was taken out for a light supper) that I d/l it at 10:19 pm my local time.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:What is the "Created" stamp of a downloaded file?
The Created timestamps of files are inconsistent, and therefore largely meaningless.
Only the File Modified/Updated field has any real validity.

This ancient Technical Note still applies...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:The Created timestamps of files are ... largely meaningless.
Hi John, and thanks for prodding my memory.
I remember this discussion now from 2? years back when I was migrating from XCopy through XXCopy to RoboCopy.
Date-Last-Accessed is also meaningless since it could refer to the time a backup mechanism checked the file etc.

[Ommmmm]Only Date-Last-Modified is useful. Only Date-Last-Modified is useful. Only Date-Last-Modified is useful. Only Date-Last-Modified is useful. Only Date-Last-Modified is useful. ... [/Ommmmm]