Accessing Folder Contents from Start Menu

Cah
3StarLounger

Accessing Folder Contents from Start Menu

Post by Cah »

In Windows XP there was a method (which I've forgotten) to drag a folder to the start menu. The start menu would then display a link and clicking on it gave immediate access to all the files in the folder. Is there any way to do that in Windows 7? It's like creating a toolbar but having it in the start menu. Thanks.

Chris

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Accessing Folder Contents from Start Menu

Post by Hey Jude »

You just need to drag the folder to "Start" (Windows Logo) and hold it there until it expands, showing your start menu and you can drop it wherever you like. I just drag/dropped my downloads folder there.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can still drag a folder from Windows Explorer to the Start button and drop it there, or wait until the Start menu expands and drop it on the menu - it's called "Pin to Start Menu".

If you want to "unpin", right-click the item in the start menu and select the option to remove it; this will only remove the Start menu item, not the actual folder.
Best wishes,
Hans

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks for the replies but that's not what I mean. I know about pinning a folder to the start menu but when I select the folder it doesn't expand to show the contents so I can select a file inside the folder like it did with XP. Perhaps this function is lost because of the new Windows 7 start menu.

Chris

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I dragged my downloads folder to the start menu, and when I clicked on that, I was immediately shown the entire d/l folder with all the innards there with the bar to go up/down to the file I wanted. I'm not sure I know what you are asking. Does your folder have everything in it you want to show up?

Are you talking about mousing over the folder so you can see everything that is in it prior to clicking? I don't know how to do that.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

You CAN pin a folder to the taskbar in Win 7 and have it expandable (or not) http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/93 ... older.html Scroll down to
OPTION ONE
Pin Folder to Taskbar

1. To Have the Folder Expandable on the Taskbar
NOTE: In addition to being able to click on the folder to open a window for it, you will also have the little arrows to click on to expand the folder open directly from the taskbar.

Perhaps this is what you are looking for, but it would be on the taskbar instead of start menu.

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks for the link, I had a quick look and there is a bit to go through. Currently, I have an extra toolbar on the taskbar but I really want something in the start menu as I had with XP. I'm using classic shell for explorer. Perhaps I'll have a go at changing the start menu with it as well.

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

I suspect you're looking for the functionality that went with the Advanced button on the taskbar tab. That doesn't appear to exist in Windows 7, but the alternative methods already mentioned should give you what you need. "Personalized" (not those you personalize, but the ones Windows thinks you want) menus seem to be unavoidable in Windows 7 otherwise.
Charlotte

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks Charlotte, I don't remember ever using an advanced tab. Iseem to remember just dragging a folder to the start menu (ore perhaps it was a shortcut). Classic Shell, which I mentioned above restores the XP like Classic menu almost to its entirety. I haven't explored it yet as I almost prefer the new menu system but the missing folder fly-out is a put off.

Chris