Forced Desktop Refresh?

Cah
3StarLounger

Forced Desktop Refresh?

Post by Cah »

I save a file or shortcut to the desk top and half the time it doesn't appear until I press F5 to refresh the screen. What is going on? This machine has 24GB of ram is a quadcore, has a NVidi GEforce GTX460 graphics card, a 64 bit operating system and it is forcing me to refresh? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it because of some setting I inadvertently set. Is it a punishment for not using Aero? Will someone please advise. Thanks,

Chris

PS Sorry if I sound irate, I've had a trying week!

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Forced Desktop Refresh?

Post by Claude »

Have you tried reinstalling / upgrading your video driver ?
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've noticed this too (and I do use Aero) - the display of folder contents in Windows Explorer isn't always updated automatically either. I Googled this problem some time ago and found some suggestions, but they didn't work. So I find myself pressing F5 more often than I did in Windows XP (I skipped Windows Vista).

Apart from this and a few other minor annoyances, I like Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Claude wrote:Have you tried reinstalling / upgrading your video driver ?
I installed the latest driver but didn't uninstall first. It seems from Hans reply that this is a bug that just hits certain systems, sigh.

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

HansV wrote:I've noticed this too (and I do use Aero)
Seems like it is a Microsoft bug, or a punishment for skipping Vista - I did this as well.

Chris

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

I guess I'm just curious here, but what do you do that you would need anything close to 24 GB of Ram? I can not even fathom this. I did not even know systems existed that allowed this much Ram. Or perhaps is this a mistype???
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Hi, Ted, when I was building my system I was thinking of getting 8-12 GB of Ram - it was my wife who suggested getting 24! Incidentally, the maximum RAM for Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional is 192GB - now that I find hard to imagine. Home Premium will take up to 16GB and Home Basic is limited to 8. You need a 64 bit operating system to utilise RAM beyond 4GB. I do a lot of video and graphic work and like to switch between applications so having lots of RAM keeps things running smoothly (in theory).

Chris

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

From what I have learned utilizing anything above approx. 3.5 GB Ram requires 64 Bit Win 7. I have been out of the home built PC group for several years and consequently did not realize MB were built that allowed this much Ram. I suspect I will never get back into this, and because of my PC needs, I do not require more than the 4 GB I presently have on my laptop. Oh well, thanks for the info and good luck with your home brewed system.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit