Where is my file?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Where is my file?

Post by jmt356 »

I just bought a program and a file automatically downloaded and installed. I want to find where on my computer the download file was stored in case I later need it to reinstall. I don't know the name of the file, so I don't think a general search on my C drive in Windows Explorer will work. Is there a default folder where programs download to in Windows 7? I already checked my Username/Downloads folder, but it wasn't in there.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Where is my file?

Post by HansV »

You didn't get a choice between running and downloading the installer? (Some programs don't give you this option).

The file probably ended up in your browser's cache (for Internet Explorer: Temporary Internet Files, for Firefox: type about:cache in the address bar and press Enter to see its location), but it might also be in your Temp folder, or the program may have set up a folder somewhere under your AppData folder...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

jmt356 wrote:I just bought a program and a file automatically downloaded and installed.
Another approach might be to try and download any other file and if running IE9, before clicking on Save, click on the Save As option to see where the current default folder is located. If not running IE9, click on Save and again, see where the default download folder is located. That might provide a clue.
Regards,
Bob

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

jmt356 wrote:I just bought a program and a file automatically downloaded and installed. I want to find where on my computer the download file was stored in case I later need it to reinstall. I don't know the name of the file, so I don't think a general search on my C drive in Windows Explorer will work.
May I suggest that a search based on the date of the download should locate the file for you.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just found it in a subfolder of the program folder in Program Files (x86). Thanks!
Regards,

JMT