Burn Win7 DVD from new computer

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Burn Win7 DVD from new computer

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am confused about making an installation DVD.

Compaq Presario CQ62, since you ask. 15.6", 2,2GHz 2GB 220 GB.
I have created a copy of the Windows 7 Recovery using the builtin software (Windows 7 Home Premium) and managed to boot from the DVD, so I am partway there.

I have created a "WindowsImagebackup" folder on my 500 GB external drive; it contains 30+GB of stuff which make me think that I have a snapshot of the new system on external media and with the Recovery DVD could "fall back" to this morning's system.

I see a "Recovery D:" partition with 11.6 GB material.
Is this what I used to think of as an installation DVD?

I have in mind that I'll feel safer with what looks like a "Windows 7 Installation DVD" so that if the hard drive ever goes South, I can drop in a new hard drive and re-install from scratch.

ImgBurner has been downloaded onto the laptop, so I'm ready to create ISO files and burn them to DVD.

Presumably if the "Recovery D:" is what I want it will have to be split over 3 4.7GB DVDs.

I went through some of this with the ACER netbook a couple of months ago, but didn't get around to burning DVDs because I didn't go out and buy an external DVD drive.

As usual, I'd appreciate hints/tips/directions.

I am also searching for ideas about dual-boot, because I like the idea of having a WinXP system on this beast so that I can continue my regular production work while i come to terms with Windows7
He who plants a seed, plants life.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Burn Win7 DVD from new computer

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I am confused about making an installation DVD.
(later)
I have found two PDF manuals and am now following instructions via "Recovery Manager"
He who plants a seed, plants life.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Burn Win7 DVD from new computer

Post by DaveA »

The OEM's provide the routine so they do not have provide the discs. BUT, I have found that they (the discs) MAY not work when you need them. How do you find out, try and recover your machine to factory settings, using the disc that you made, and you will find out. Just booting to it is a start, but will the system be recovered, you will not find out until you try it.

The best thing to do is BUY them from the OEM, I have not paid over $25.00 US for any of them, and they do work. If the ones you have failed, it can be a long few days waiting the the factory discs to arrive, so you can do the recover.

Yes, the "Recover Discs" are a copy of the Recover partition, and if left intact, will work long before you will need any of the DVD's. Some OEM's (the good ones, Sony is one) use a hidden partition, so the user can not mess it up.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living