Features in Windows 7

jmt356
SilverLounger

Features in Windows 7

Post by jmt356 »

Is it no longer possible to edit photos in Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 7? The thing I liked about Vista was that I could view photos and edit them in Windows Photo viewer. There was an Edit (?) button up top that allowed me to crop, change contrast, brightness, etc. on photos. It looks like I have ot have a separate program to do this in Windows 7. Am I mistaken?

Also, in Vista, you could right click on a photo, press R, and then you would be able to rename the photo. In Windows 7, it looks like you you have to rigth click, go to properties, then navigate to the general tab (the view tab is active by default on my computer), and then change the title. It takes a lot more time. Has the faster feature in Vista been disabled in Windows 7?

In Windows Vista, if, for example, you had multiple windows of IE or Word open, on the taskbar it would indicate how many windows were open with a number next to the name of the program. It appears Windows 7 doesn't do that. Nor can you click on the program in in the taskbar and then just press the first letter of the document or file that you want to bring it up immediately. It looks to me like I have to manually click on the document or window that I want, which is quite slower than in Vista where, if I knew, for example, that out of my 10 open documents, the document I wanted was called "Vacation Guide," I wouldn't even have to bother scrolling through the names of all 10 documents, I would just click on the Word program on the taskbar and then enter "V," which would bring up the document Vactation Guide starting with that letter.

Also, did they take away the snipper tool?

Regards,

JMT
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Features in Windows 7

Post by HansV »

Windows Photo Viewer is less powerful in Windows 7. Windows Live Photo Gallery has editing features, it is part of the free Windows Live Essentials suite. Or get Picasa 3: Free download from Google.

The snipping tool should be listed under Accessories, or simply type Snipping in the search box that appears when you click the start button.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See 11 Windows 7 Taskbar Shortcuts That Can Open Your Eyes for some details on the Windows 7 taskbar that may help.

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

In Vista, I always had IE pinned next to the Start button as a shortcut key. Whenever i would click on it, it would open a new IE window.

In Windows 7, I pinned IE to the taskbar, but to open a window, I have to right click it, and choose Internet Explorer (otherwise, it just goes to the IE window I currently have open). The prior shortcut is no longer available?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try holding Shift while left-clicking the taskbar icon. But why don't you open a new tab in the current IE window?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks so much Hans!

I don't like working in many tabs; I prefer to have different windows open so I can more quickly shuffle between them using alt+tab. I try to avoid the mouse as much as possible as it slows me down. Is there a way to shuffle between IE tabs?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ctrl+Tab activates the next tab, Shift+Ctrl+Tab activates the next tab. Both loop around at the end/beginning.

Ctrl+T starts a new tab.

See Quick Reference for more shortcuts.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

What benefit does having 1 IE window with several tabs open offer oover having several different IE windows (1 for each tab)? Does it take up less memory (RAM)?
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

jmt356 wrote:What benefit does having 1 IE window with several tabs open offer oover having several different IE windows (1 for each tab)?
That's a personal preference for you to decide what you want to do. You may, for example, want to have two web pages open and view them side by side.
jmt356 wrote:Does it take up less memory (RAM)?
You can easily check that yourself! Open up TaskManager, select the processes tab, and watch what happens...
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A single window with tabs does use less RAM, but not dramatically so. In my opinion, the main advantage is less screen clutter. In a single window with tabs, you have only one set of title bar address bar, toolbars, and status bar. If each web page is opened in a separate window, they all have their own title bar, address bar, toolbars and status bar.
Best wishes,
Hans

perryl7822
NewLounger

Post by perryl7822 »

If you system is fairly up to date, and it should be if you are running Windows 7, windows should not affect the performance that much. While I am a Linux person, I have played around with Windows 7. It does seem to do a much better job than previous versions of Windows in terms of resources.
Perry L. "Linux Freak"
www.mnui.com