Distinguishing the active window using Aero

Cah
3StarLounger

Distinguishing the active window using Aero

Post by Cah »

Hello, when I started using Windows 7 I immediately switched to the classic view. However, this looses Aero Peek and apparently may actually lower performance because it doesn't use the memory of the graphics card. I tried using an Aero theme but I find it too difficult to distinguish between an active an inactive window. I want a simple plain colour blue desktop with a grey task bar and the active window looking different from the inactive ones and Aero Peek. Such a basic design seems to be impossible using Aero. I tried out Windowblinds but that was a disaster. It trashed my system and forced me to use an image restore. However, I'm willing to try another application if it can get me the results I outlined. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,

Chris

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Distinguishing the active window using Aero

Post by viking33 »

Cah wrote:Hello, when I started using Windows 7 I immediately switched to the classic view. However, this looses Aero Peek and apparently may actually lower performance because it doesn't use the memory of the graphics card. I tried using an Aero theme but I find it too difficult to distinguish between an active an inactive window. I want a simple plain colour blue desktop with a grey task bar and the active window looking different from the inactive ones and Aero Peek. Such a basic design seems to be impossible using Aero. I tried out Windowblinds but that was a disaster. It trashed my system and forced me to use an image restore. However, I'm willing to try another application if it can get me the results I outlined. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,

Chris
You should be able to go back to the classic view and then disable Aero Peek in "taskbar & start menu." by UNchecking the box at the bottom.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks for the reply, Bob. The checkbox you refer to is disable when I'm in classic view. Also, you mentioned disabling Aero Peek but I actually want to enable it. Basically I want to use Aero with peek but I want a plain desktop and a very clear difference between the active window and inactive windows. Some theme that was Aero but that looked like XP classic would suite me down to the ground.

Cheers,

Chris

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried disabling transparency? RIght click on the desktop and select "Personalize". Then at the bottom of the windows click on "Windows Color'. In the next windows make sure "Enable transparency" is unchecked.

Joe
Joe

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks, Joe. Yes I have, and I've spent ages messing around with Windows color and the color mixer. If I select blue for the taskbar and really crank up the intensity and saturation I can get some difference between active and inactive windows but the taskbar becomes overbearing and garish. If I select grey then there's not enough difference. If there were a way to have the active window non-transparent and the inactive ones transparent that might do, but I haven't been able to find it.

Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

On my default theam system, the "active" icon (to me) stands out real well.
See atachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

DaveA wrote:On my default theam system, the "active" icon (to me) stands out real well.
See atachment.
But the bar at the top of the active window barely stands out at all
ActiveWindow.png
InactiveWindow.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And if you have several Word documents open (for example), the Word button in the taskbar may be highlighted clearly, but the title bar of the active document isn't.
Best wishes,
Hans