Unable to download

aekyall
4StarLounger

Unable to download

Post by aekyall »

Windows Home Premium:

I seem to have developed a puzzling problem (at least, puzzling to me!): My system is running okay, I can connect to the internet and interact with websites; plus I can access, read and send e-mails via Windows Live Mail. What I cannot do is download anything :hairout:

First became aware when I checked NIS for (security) updates (I do it manually, once per day). The process 'failed to complete' - in fact, nothing got downloaded. Around the same time, Windows Defender popped up and advised that there was an update - Tried to download it but, again, nothing got downloaded.

Ran a full system scan with NIS - nothing found.

Did a System Restore back to five days previous - Same problems exist.

Decided to try reinstalling NIS and started by unistalling it completely from my system.

Then decided in the interim, to try WSE package - got to the download webpage, selected 'download' - guess what? It didn't!

I have absolutely no idea what's going on here. My software seems okay, my router must be functing as it allows me access to internet. I'm not aware that downloads are being blocked (I would normally get an indicator bar at top of IE). Could there, for some reason, be an issue over ports? And here I'm simply guessing.

Seems like I'm heading for my Computer Shack repair man (my computer is, hopefully, still within its guarantee period), but thought I'd ask here and see if anyone can come up with a possible reason for this.

Because I reinstalled NIS and cannot download anthing at the moment, NIS is running without the last 300 odd days worth of updates!!! Somewhat worrying! :scratch: and :scratch: again!

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Keith

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Unable to download

Post by viking33 »

aekyall wrote:Windows Home Premium:
You didn't mention what browser you are using? IE, Firefox? etc.
But I would first check "Internet Options"> Security>Custom, scroll down to the download option and make sure it is enabled.
Capture.PNG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Bob,

Sorry, should have made clear - I use IE8 and have checked as you suggested - File downloads is 'enabled'

Thanks,
Regards,
Keith

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

aekyall wrote:Bob,

Sorry, should have made clear - I use IE8 and have checked as you suggested - File downloads is 'enabled'

Thanks,
Few more things to check.
1. Have you tried to disable ( temporarily ) your firewall?
2. Your anti-virus?
3.Empty your Temporary Internet Files, folder?
4.Tools | Internet Options | Security | click Default?
5.Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | click Restore Defaults?

Try these and post back.
BOB

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

One more thing to try. Can you install a different browser, such as Firefox and see if that allows you to download.
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

aekyall wrote:What I cannot do is download anything
Assuming you are connecting with the offending machine, you obviously can download some things or you wouldn't be able to read this page!

For example, can you download the StefanDemo.xls attachment in Insert Rectangle Shape based on data?

I'd be more suspicious of a scripting/download mechanism that is not being allowed to run.
Leif

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Bob, Leif,
Many thanks. Tried all those and yes, can download the demo (1 sec). Since last posting I've now been able to download Windows Defender updates and also Spybot updates, seemingly without problem. However, Cannot appear to download anything from NIS updates and I've noticed that when I go to the Microsoft Security Essentials download page and hit 'download', if I wait long enough then the download indicator informs me that the transfer rate is (currently) 2.91kb per sec. When I did the same yesterday it said, firstly, 36Bytes a sec and then, when i tried again later, 1.8Kb per sec, indicating a download time of several hours (perhaps NIS is timing out?)!!! My broadband is supposed to be 2Mb (in reality it's usually around 1.6 down and 260'ish up). I used to have a line speed tester saved in my favourites panel, but seem not to have it anymore and cannot find any in the lounge (I know there were several mentioned a while back) - can anyone suggest one pse so I can check my line speed?

As far as I can tell, having run through all the auto tests from my ISP (Orange), my router seems to be functioning as it should - could this just be a line problem of some sort? (grasping at straws!)

Grateful any/all ideas/suggestions.

Thanks
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There was a discussion of speed tests in Getting faster; the one recommended for the UK wasthinkbroadband :: UK Broadband Speed Test.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

aekyall wrote:Bob, Leif,

As far as I can tell, having run through all the auto tests from my ISP (Orange), my router seems to be functioning as it should - could this just be a line problem of some sort? (grasping at straws!)

Grateful any/all ideas/suggestions.

Thanks
Another good speedtest but seems to have more USA locations is: http://speedtest.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speaking of your ISP. have you contacted them directly, to possibly determine if you have a flaky line or other ISP related problem?
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As noted in the thread I mentioned, the results of speedtest.net are not very reliable - it sometimes reports a much higher speed than your connection could possibly have...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:As noted in the thread I mentioned, the results of speedtest.net are not very reliable - it sometimes reports a much higher speed than your connection could possibly have...
I have never noticed any wildly erroneous speed reports from them and use that site almost exclusively, if I want to check line speed.
BOB

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks everyone - Been through all the auto processes with my ISP; My router appears to be AOK and my line speed is around 1.4Mb download, 260Kb upload (ping is 206Ms) - which is about all I've every managed from my 2Mb broadband (one of the crosses we have to bear up here, living in a rural location. Problem still persists however, with download transfer rates abysmally poor - ranging from 36 bytes a sec through 1.8Kb per second when trying to download NIS updates or trying to download MSE from Microsoft download centre. E-mail and web access seems to be unaffected for some reason, as is downloading updates from e.g. Spybot, Windows Defender and, indeed, from Microsoft Update. Ah well!!

I've exhausted just about everything I can think of (which isn't much!!) - and I've tried all your suggestions, so far to no avail.
Therefore, off to computer shack Monday A.M with tower in tow to see if they can find any software/hardware issues that is/are/might be restricting my download speeds and giving me all this agro!
Will post back if/when I get a solution.
:scratch: :sad:
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good luck - I hope they'll be able to help you!
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Just a quick update - not to mention a probably confusing one!!

As an afterthought, I hooked up my refurbished XP(H) machine (hadn't used it since moving on to Windows 7) - it has a new hard drive. I went through the process of connecting to my router and, lo and behold, after the set-up, I have the same problems!!! So, it cannot be my computer that's at fault, it must be something to do with either the router or my phone line.

All very confusing as, having hooked up my XP machine there were 31 Microsoft software updates awaiting to be downloaded - which they did with no problem at all, and quite quickly!! However, I still cannot download such things as Windows Security Essentials - for an 8Mb download it tells me it will take in excess of 2 hours! Neither can I get NIS to download its back-updates on to my XP machine, it just tells me it failed to process (presumably due to slow download speed).

So, some things I can download without problem, other I cannot! Just don't understand.

I'll go talk to the computer shack man anyway and see if he has any suggestions - I suppose I ought to be able to try a different router to eliminate that as an issue?

To be continued ..............
:hairout: :hairout: :hairout:
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

By way of update: Having decided that my problems had to reside in either the router or line, I suddenly realised that when I upgraded to Windows 7 and moved to a router I still had the old modem tucked away in a box. Duly connected my XP(H) machine using the modem and - You've guessed it - Same problems existed. So, obviously, fault lay somewhere outside of my home!

And, since this morning, things seem to be improving! Managed to download all my back NIS security updates (albeit somewhat more slowly than usual). So, touch wood, things seem to be on the 'up', even if I don't really understand what was going on!

I've e-mailed my ISP Help Desk (Orange) asking them whether there is, or has been, any line/connection problems - but feel that if I hold my breath waiting for a reply I might end up with a bigger problem than my download speed!!!

Thanks for all the help/advice - it was useful and helped me arrive (ploddingly) at where the problem really lay. The learning curve just seems to get steeper!!

Cheers and :thankyou: .
Regards,
Keith

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

What a poor site Orange Help & Support is (http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/suppo ... -broadband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) just pages & pages of what seems to be made up FAQs. I hope it's a bit more forthcoming when you sign in to your account.

Having suffered a similar problem of extremely slow speeds some weeks back all you can do is keep doing the speed tests, using as many versions as possible & keep records of them to throw at your ISP. That way they can't argue that the tester you are using doesn't work properly.

My speed test on a rural line that BT (the main UK phone company) said was incapable of supporting broadband & eventually condescended to sell us broadband at a speed of 500Kbs (0.5 Mbs).

Oh & to the point of the post - a list of speed testers (UK/USA)

- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/speedtesters.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards
wasbit
Regards
wasbit

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

And finally! :fanfare: Everything back to normal; checks with 3 different speed testers (speedtester.net, speedtest.net and thinkbroadband) all show my 2Mb connection running at 1.9 down and .2 up (normal for my connection).

Did actually get a response from my ISP - Said they weren't aware of any problems!!

Regards to all.
Regards,
Keith

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

aekyall wrote: Did actually get a response from my ISP - Said they weren't aware of any problems!!
RIGHT ! :evilgrin: :devil:
At any rate, glad to hear things are back to normal.
BOB