User Account Control

weese237
2StarLounger

User Account Control

Post by weese237 »

What opinions does everyone have about UAC settings. I've left mine on but it's starting to annoy me every time I boot up. I have a nice little calendar gadget (nicer than what comes with Windows 7 I think) and I have to click on yes every time. I have it set to "run this program as Administrator", but it still asks....

Has anyone shut it off and have problems?

Thanks,
Louise     :smile:

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: User Account Control

Post by DaveA »

Dose this program Require that it be run as administrator?

You might also look for a Vista or Windows 7 version of this program, then you should NOT need to set it to open in this manner.

I would NOT turn OFF the UAC, just my :2cents:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi Dave,
No, I don't think it requires to be run as administrator. I just changed it to that because I had read somewhere that it would solve the problem. Didn't.

The gadget is here: http://blueonionsoftware.com/blog.aspx? ... 993aa1cf66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and can be downloaded here:
http://blueonionsoftware.com/calendargadget.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He hasn't worked on the calendar for a long time although he says it's a Window 7 gadget. I used the other calendar he has for years and thought I'd try the "new" one.
I don't want to turn of the UAC either.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You can create a scheduled task that will run a program without the UAC prompt, and then schedule it to run at startup.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

StuartR wrote:You can create a scheduled task that will run a program without the UAC prompt, and then schedule it to run at startup.
I should point out that {Windows}Seven Forums has a number of extremely useful Tutorials, about half a dozen relating somehow to UAC.

The one which is relevant to Stuart's post is How to Create a Elevated Program Shortcut without a UAC Prompt, but as you will see the whole thing is a bit of a pain... Much easier is setting up Command Prompts without UAC.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

John Gray wrote:...The one which is relevant to Stuart's post is How to Create a Elevated Program Shortcut without a UAC Prompt, but as you will see the whole thing is a bit of a pain... Much easier is setting up Command Prompts without UAC.
Because the task scheduler allows you to schedule a task to run at startup, it is extremely easy to use this technique for something that you want running all the time.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I feel sure I'll be going against the majority opinion when I write this, but what the heck. I have completely turned off the Windows 7 UAC for a six month test to see if anything "bad" happens to me. I'll explain why and how in a minute. But first let me say that I'm still an 80% Windows XP user and slowly, slowly, making my way to my newly installed Win 7. I have daily backups of all three OSs, so if something bad happens, I hope I can recover!

I believe that to COMPLETELY turn off the UAC requires a modification to the registry and NOT simply a change to the "slider" inside Win 7. Here's a reference that talks about the topic: How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 » My Digital Life.

In my case, I have an old, no longer supported program called Smiley Pad which runs OK in Win 7 but will not perform its function of inserting smilies into emails or forum posts. It seems that the reason is that Smiley Pad uses the clipboard and the UAC "protects" the clipboard, maybe from bad guys like keyloggers and so on.

So, I know I may be taking a chance, but for whatever it's worth, that's my story.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

weese237 wrote: No, I don't think it requires to be run as administrator. I just changed it to that because I had read somewhere that it would solve the problem.
If the program causes a UAC dialog to popup it is accessing something that it should not. It could be trying to write something to the "Program Files" install folder or some other system folder that is restricted.

Since the developer claims to be Win7 compatible, I suggest you contact the developer specifically about UAC. There is no reason for a normal user program to cause UAC to be invoked.

Joe
Joe

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Post by t8ntlikly »

I don't have any problems with it. About the only time it pops up is when I run something like Revo Uninstaller. That is a little annoying, but I can certainly live with that.
Windows 7 Ultimate

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Bigaldoc wrote:I feel sure I'll be going against the majority opinion when I write this...
You're not wrong there Al.

There are many people out there trying to attack your windows system, and UAC can be a big help in helping you to fight off some types of attack. The only drawback is that you have one extra mouse click each time you do something "administrative", which shouldn't be that often.
StuartR

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Thank you all for your suggestions and input. I will take a look at the tutorial and others and see what's best for me.

Thanks again,