compatible with 64 bit software versions.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

compatible with 64 bit software versions.

Post by Dave Davison »

Some 8 years ago I purchased software that allows me to to search for any word /verse in the bible, has numerous commentaries by well know scholars & many photos of locations mentioned in the said great book. I loaned it to my friend who has just purchased a new laptop with a view to him downloading it to his HD but he gets the following message. "not compatible with 64 bit software versions.] Is there any way he can get round this problem please? Thanks Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: compatible with 64 bit software versions.

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Some 8 years ago I purchased software that allows me to to search for any word /verse in the bible, has numerous commentaries by well know scholars & many photos of locations mentioned in the said great book. I loaned it to my friend who has just purchased a new laptop with a view to him downloading it to his HD but he gets the following message. "not compatible with 64 bit software versions.] Is there any way he can get round this problem please? Thanks Dave.
What is the software and have you checked to see if there is a 32 bit version available?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

The software is simply called "PC Bible Study" an ancient version and Yes...there are more advanced versions available but too costly I'm afraid. The one in question cost well over £150; 7 years ago so must stay with it as it offers all I really need.

Thanks Dave....

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

He will need to run XP in a virtual machine on his Windows 7 PC. If he has a Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate he can use the freeWindows Virtual PC: Home Page. Otherwise he needs to use a virtual machine such as the free VirtualBox. NOTE: with third party virtual machines he needs a separate valid license for Windows XP where with XP Mode a valid copy of XP is included.

Joe
Joe

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks a million Joe but I'm afraid you've lost me off. I suspect my friend [who is even senior to myself] will not go down the road where he has to shell out more expense for a license to run something that is regarded by many as ancient, [out of date] just to have access to one software program. Pity really as I'm sure he would find much on the resource to occupy his time. Excuse my dullness but when you say ...."where with XP mode a valid copy of XP is included", the term "XP mode" means nothing. I will however point my friend to this thread and see if he can grasp what you are saying.
ps. Are you in fact saying that, in the event that I upgrade my computer to a new one running W7, it will not be able to cope with the "PC Study Bible" software that I use continually? In layman's terms also Joe, what do the terms 32 Bit & 64 Bit mean? Am I right in assuming that my XP system is 64 Bit and W7 is 32 Bit. Sorry for being so dull but all this technical stuff is out of my depth I'm afraid. Thanks anyway Dave.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

No. it is the other way, your copy is 32 bit and Windows 7 comes in BOTH flavors of 32 and 64 bit. Your freind has a copy of Windows 7 64 bit and the program will not install.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

...............so I presume the answer is to download [Windows Virtual PC: Home Page.] or am I barking up the wrong tree again? If so SORRY. Thanks Dave

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

How about trying another similar program, e.g., SwordSearcher. It claims to be 100% compatible with all versions of Windows 7. I have been using this program for many years and it has served my purposes well. However, I have never wanted nor installed a 64-bit OS so I can't personally confirm it will run on one. The linked page above has a contact e-mail and I'm sure that Mr. Staggs will respond quickly to you regarding this matter. :grin:
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

A thousand thanks Pilgrim........I have just had quick glimpse at the link and it looks very much like the package I have but much cheaper that what it cost me many years ago, will inform my friend and let him make his mind up if he wants to avail himself of the resource. Blue Letter Bible is also a fantastic web site & includes a bible search tool. Regards Dave.