Languages

Cah
3StarLounger

Languages

Post by Cah »

Hello, with XP I can switch languages using (I think) Imjpmig.exe. I'm able to use Japanese characters with email and word and web forms. What version of Windows 7 do I need to be able to do the same? Do I actually need Ultimate or can Foreign Languages be used with other versions?

Thanks,

Chris

Leif
Administrator

Re: Languages

Post by Leif »

Does How to easily download and install Windows 7 Language Packs (MUI packs) | Windows 7 Center answer the question?
Language packs or MUI packs are used to change the default language of Windows 7 to a language of your choice. For example, download and installing the French language pack will translate all the menus and options in Windows 7 into French.

This feature is only available in Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate.
Leif

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Hi Leif,

I don't know! From what I understand Ultimate and Enterprise allow for the entire translation of the operating system, something that isn't available with any form of XP. But even XP home will allow creation of text in different languages. Has this feature been removed from all versions of Windows 7 except for Ultimate and Enterprise? This seems a drastic change and really penalising people who want access to more than one language.

Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows 7 (not only Enterprise and Ultimate!) has built-in support for working with Japanese characters.
Select Start | Control Panel.
If you use category view, click Clock, Language and Region.
Click Language and Region.
Activate the Keyboards and Languages tab.
Click Change keyboards.
Under Installed services, click Add.
Expand Japanese, then expand Keyboard.
Tick the check boxes for Japanese and Microsoft IME.
Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks Hans, so just to clarify using different languages works as before and what Ultimate and Enterprise add is something extra - the ability to switch the entire operating system?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Correct - the feature that Leif pointed to lets you switch the interface language of Windows; this is only available for Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise.
The ability to add keyboard languages is available in all versions of Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks, Hans. I wonder if Enterprise and Ultimate are better with "foreign drivers". I use a western version of XP but the printers I use are Japanese. Western driver versions are not always available. Sometimes this means that installation has to be done "blind" as the dialogues show random characters (usually question marks). Sometimes this effects software that comes with them as well. I guess though improvements will depend upon individual drivers rather than Enterprise and Ultimate. Any thoughts?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess it depends on the individual drivers, but I have no experience with that, sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Cah wrote:Thanks, Hans. I wonder if Enterprise and Ultimate are better with "foreign drivers". I use a western version of XP but the printers I use are Japanese. Western driver versions are not always available. Sometimes this means that installation has to be done "blind" as the dialogues show random characters (usually question marks). Sometimes this effects software that comes with them as well. I guess though improvements will depend upon individual drivers rather than Enterprise and Ultimate. Any thoughts?
I am not using Windows 7 but in XP if you go to the Control Panel and on the Advance Tab of the Regional and Language Options and set select a language to match the language version of the non-unicode programs you want to use in Japanese it will usually solve the rendering of Japanese characters on-screen to the correct output. I would guess Windows 7 has a some sort of option to also enable this.