Control Panel in classic view

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Control Panel in classic view

Post by Gloria E »

I have searched all over Windows, Google and some Forums (including this one) and found nothing helpful about changing from the default Category view to Classic. I would like to apply classic view to both the start menu and control panel. I found some mention on the web, but when I followed the directions, all the steps they mentioned are not on my computer. For instance, Microsoft said (in an article I found) to change the start menu to Classic view open Control Panel > Taskbar & Start Menu. On the Start Menu tab, click Classic Start menu (there is no Classic Start mentioned). :hairout:

I'm sorta new to Windows 7 and I believe that the information is lying somewhere on this computer. I need help by some kind soul who can lead me to the place to make these changes.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-bit.

Thanks in advance,

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Control Panel in classic view

Post by HansV »

Open Control Panel.
Click the little arrow to the right of Control Panel in the address bar.
Select "All Control Panel Items" from the dropdown menu.
classic-control-panel.png
Or: select Large Icons or Small Icons from the View dropdown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows 7 itself does not offer a "classic" start menu.
I recommend getting used to the new start menu - once you become familiar with it, it works well. But if you still prefer the classic menu, see the thread Classic Windows menus for a free utility that lets you switch between the new Windows 7 start menu and the classic version.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Windows 7 itself does not offer a "classic" start menu.
I recommend getting used to the new start menu - once you become familiar with it, it works well. But if you still prefer the classic menu, see the thread Classic Windows menus for a free utility that lets you switch between the new Windows 7 start menu and the classic version.
Because there is no 'little arrow' to the right (or anywheres else) on the Control Panel, and since I don't care to use Classic Shell, I'll take your advice and try and get used to the way it is now.

Is there an option to use Classic View for the Control Panel? I prefer to see explainations of what's inside a folder and not have to open them all to try and find what I'm looking for. I want my XP things in 7, I try but I just can't seem to get comfortable with the new version. :bwaah:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, there is no "list view" of Control Panel with a column of descriptions in Windows 7.

What does the top of the Control Panel window look like for you?
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:As far as I know, there is no "list view" of Control Panel with a column of descriptions in Windows 7.

What does the top of the Control Panel window look like for you?
There is nothing at the top, no headings of any kind. It starts with a program named Action Center and a list of other programs following straight down.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

The list view will be the small or large icon from the drop down.
See my attachment for the drop down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria, could you post a screenshot of your control panel?
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Gloria, could you post a screenshot of your control panel?
I used your attachment and changed Control Panel to small icons, now I have 3 columns just like the picture.

I realize that I've been told many times how to take and send a screen shot. Repeat the instructions one more time. I clicked on PrtScn and nothing happened.

Gloria

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The three views you can get from View by (Category, Small Icons and Large Icons) are the ones available in Windows 7 - pick the one that you like best.

Windows 7 comes with a built-in accessory to take screenshots and save them: Snipping Tool.
You can find it in Start > All Programs > Accessories.
See Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots for instructions (don't forget to expand the links near the bottom).
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Since you are using Windows 7, there is a program called "Snipping Tool".
Go to Start, All Programs, the Accessories. There you should see it, Right click it and select "Pin to Taskbar". Now it will always be available. Now that you have where you can get to it, play with it and learn how to use it.

Look in the Help and Support for "Snipping Tool" and all of the instructions on saving a screen will be there.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I'll find it and use it tomorrow and send it once I learn how to use that tool.
Changed my mind and looked for it today. It wasn't listed under Accessories, so I did a search and found the exe file. The only problem is that it didn't work I only got a red circle with an x in the middle.

Next, I searched Google and found this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... -tool.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now I have the instructions but no working tool.

Next, I need to find a download link and an answer to this question. If I find the link do I remove the non-working Snipping Tool from the computer before installing the new one?

I'm sorry to be so much trouble, but what else can I do if I don't know how to handle something?

Gloria E

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:I

I'm sorry to be so much trouble, but what else can I do if I don't know how to handle something?

Gloria E
The exe file for snipping tool should be in
%windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe
IS that the one you found?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Open Control Panel
Open Programs and Features
Click on Turn Windows features on and off
Make sure that the check box "Tablet PC Optional Components" is ticked.
Click OK.
Snipping Tool should now be listed under Accessories.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:I

Gloria E
The exe file for snipping tool should be in
%windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe
IS that the one you found?
Yes that's it. Properties: 421 KB Version 6.1.7600.16385. Have you any idea why it won't open or does it open somewhere that I don't know about?