Folder Size

jstevens
GoldLounger

Folder Size

Post by jstevens »

I have one folder that contains PDF files yet when I right-click on the folder, select properties the folder properties are:

Size: 0 bytes
Size on Disk: 0 bytes
Contains: 0 Files, 0 Folders

I checked the PDF file attributes and there are no read-only, hidden or archive attributes. I tried creating a new folder, moved the files and encountered the same outcome. I am not having a challenge with other folders.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Re: Folder Size

Post by HansV »

Does the folder name contain an unusual character, or is the total folder path very long?
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Hans,

Nothing unusual in the folder name or length. I moved all the PDF files out to another folder and started to add them back in groups of 10 to test the folder properties. I can successfully see the folder properties as I add them back.

When I have 130 files in the folder I start to encounter the challenge. If I back out the last file copied in, the folder properties are present.

If I skip the 130th file and copy the remaining into the folder the properties are present. I can right-click on the so called problem child and see that file's properties. :scratch:
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Anything special about the filename of the problem file?
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Nothing special about it. I just tried a copy/paste of the problem file to the folder that I moved all the PDF files to. I copied the "copy" file to the proper destination folder and it worked ie I can see the folder properties.

I tried renaming the "copy" back to the original name and the folder properties disappeared. If I rename the problem file by appending a letter "a" to the end, the folder properties are present again.
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Very strange. Can you share the name of the problem file?
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Hans,

Here is the file name with the challenge: BU00193_Closing_TB_YR2011.pdf

I resolved it by copying and renaming the copy to: BU00193_Closing_TB_YR2011a.pdf
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, but I have no idea why that specific name would cause problems... :scratch:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I've been following this thread from the beginning but didn't have any additional advice to post (given Hans's responses).
I too have no idea what might be causing this?

You could try recreating the PDF (if possible)? Maybe there is some internal corruption in that file?
Also, (out of interest), if you move the "problem file" into any randomly different folder, does this random folder also lose it's properties?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.